The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll admit to being a big lurker on this site but figured it was time to add a little of my success to the forum. This weekend was the opening of NY Northern Zone Grouse. I was lucky enough to stumble into a few while scouting for the upcoming deer season. Hope this gets you guys pumped up back home!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nice picture.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Nice outing, whereabouts is your camp? I saw your moose photos. I've seen Adirondack moose over towards Franklin Falls/Saranac Flow area, north of the town of Wilmington.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a student at Paul Smiths College. Lucky enough to get a 4 year education/vacation in Gods Country.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats! I'm glad you found some birds. We were in the North zone Friday and Saturday and found some woodcock but had a hard time finding grouse in the usual places this year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! brushbuster it seems the overall number of birds is down this year, from my previous years anyways. I am not to familiar if there are trends in grouse populations, but I do know in past years I've flushed a lot more birds on my long treks. I don't think it is cover or food issues, but then again I am no expert.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
notch113 said:
I am a student at Paul Smiths College. Lucky enough to get a 4 year education/vacation in Gods Country.
Ah yes, Paul Smiths, beautiful location. Each year, on the first weekend in June, a group of us take our annual Adirondack flyfishing trip and stay at the Wilderness Inn in Wilmington. A few of us make a one-day run up to fish the St. Regis River and we go right by Paul Smiths. Good luck and enjoy it up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts