The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to starting a new job I don't have much vacation time accumulated, so I won't be heading to Potter.
Have tomorrow off and will be hunting local.
Good Luck to all and be SAFE.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good luck everyone. I will be in 1A mercer county. Intersted to see what kind of pressure there is going to be with the first week being buck only. I'm all for it. Again good luck all!!

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Yes good luck to everyone headed out in the AM. Be safe and connect with a great Buck.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Heading to Potter on Thursday morning to take my son on a mentored hunt for 3 days!

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
JH be prepared not to see to much up there, hardly any shots, alot of empty camps no hunters either. There is alot of sign but i didnt see any camps with hanging deer. I walked about 5-6 miles yesterday saw lots of sign by no deer. Good luck i talked to a few guys today that put their trail cams out all last week, the only time deer were seen on their cameras they even had them set up near Cherry Spring state park, was right after dark and before daylight. Need a gang to drive out those clear cuts. They are there now just finding them lol.

·
Registered
982 Posts
So I sit just off a hiking trail in Michaux State Forest and can usually get in about 2 - 3 hours of hunting before hikers come by on a Saturday morning. Usually on Monday the first day of deer season there are no hikers out. But this year around 12:30 I hear 2 young kids talking loudly and laughing coming down the trail. There are big rocks just past my stand and they are climbing on them for about 30 minutes. I also hear one adult voice. Although no shots were taken in my area you can hear shots in the distance. So finally after they're done messing around they walk past me. The kids are probably 7 or 8 years old. The boy has a coat on that is different colors in which the sleeves from his elbow to his hand is orange. The little girl has a purple raincoat on (it was raining off and on Monday in my area) and the mom has a dark blue coat on and a green backpack. So really no orange at all. She just waved to me as she walked past. Unreal that she had 2 young children out walking around in the woods first day of rifle season and no orange.
So other then that no deer seen on Monday.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That would make me nervous as a hunter.I was at a state park last week with signs up for people to wear orange.Some people are wise enough to wear it.Some horse riders were wearing.But saw bikers not and other hikers were not and there I am with a loaded gun on the same trails legally.A park ranger happened by and I asked about the enforcement of it since it was posted.She seemed uncertain about the DCNR enforcing it, but she did tell a girl on horse back that just arrived that she should wear it and blaze their horse for safety.I know on SGL orange must be worn after certain dates by non-hunters.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Heres 1 for you.Small game season comes back in the day after Christmas the 26th muzzleloader hunters including myself with my smokepole are not required to wear blaze orange.

·
Registered
384 Posts
First day didn't go so well in Michaux for us. My wife and I decided to use a ground blind in a new area that had good signs. But some "hunter" came in behind us after sun up and paced in an area about 25 ft, back and forth. Not sure what that was about but he scared off some deer coming in from our side. (Only deer we saw, well a glimpse) Then he decided to use what I think was a fawn bleat mouth call. The way he was using it it kinda sounded more like a cow.....well I said to my wife I didn't know it was cow season. Well we had a good laugh and a good day together but no deer.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts