The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were in the stand at about 5:45 AM so he decided to take a nap before the excitement started.

I also decided to take a nap. The stand we hunt in is about 5x8 & about 30 feet up in a huge pine tree. Perfect for a Mentored Youth hunter. I woke up to this beautiful sunrise & was thankful to God for another day in the woods with my son.

Around 7 AM we heard a shot down towards where my buddy was hunting on the edge of a field. I told my son to get ready as there was a good chance that his shot may get some deer moving or whatever he shot at may come our way. Well, he didn't miss. He shot a nice buck in the field about 170 yards away.
About 5 minutes after his shot, we heard another shot from another buddy who was hunting about 100 yards below us on the mountain. Well, my son was already getting very excited about the shooting so he was already ready to go.
About 5 minutes later he spotted a deer working it's way up the mountain. I confirmed that it was a buck and he got ready to shoot. The buck worked it's way up the mountain for about 50 yards & never gave us a broadside shot. Since I had only told my son to shoot a buck broadside, he was getting very restless watching this buck through his scope. Finally at about 20 yards, it turned to go up a different path. I stopped the buck & he finished it with his Remington .243 - It was awesome! It only ran about 30 yards down the hill & died. He was whooping & hollering - it was his first "real" buck! He had shot one last year that was a spike.

After he got down & inspected. I texted my other two buddies who we had heard shoot. Result = 3 bucks down within 15 minutes. Best opening day ever!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL. Yep - pays to sleep - only when it's dark though. 2nd year in a row he's shot a buck in the first hours of the morning. I told him not to get used to that!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congratulations go out to the youngster! On a more serous note, even though there are rails around the stand, he should be wearing a fall restraint system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts