The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually writing this story from work. We have a big inspection this week so I wont get to hunt until Friday. Needless to say it has been a hard day not being in the woods with the family, but thank God for modern technology.
My brother had shot a nice buck on the last day of archery season. The thing bled like crazy for 70 yards and then nothing. We tracked and tracked and searched as much as we could. We had a 12 person crew the following day combing the entire hollow and hilltop back over to camp but couldn't turn up the buck. By the end of the day, the consensus was that the buck was still running and maybe (hopefully) someone would get another chance at him in gun season.
Fast forward to today:
I got a picture at about 0900 from my brother showing a good buck in the picture with him. I was so excited that I didn't even really look at the picture, I just called him. As the story goes, my brother was walking in to his stand in the hollow this morning and along the way he caught the smell of a rotting animal. He continued on to his stand but couldn't really focus on hunting because he kept thinking of the smell. He sat for an hour or so, and finally got down and went back up the hill to where he crossed the scent. My dad met him there and after only a couple minutes of searching, the found his half eaten buck laid up in a thick patch of laurel. We had walked within 10 yards of this buck at least once, if not more. Gotta love laurel country!!

Obviously the meat was no good, but I am so excited and relieved for my Brother to find his buck. He was absolutely heartbroken, as were the rest of us. Two other guys in camp shot bucks this morning, so all in all its a pretty great day! Best of luck to everyone and be safe!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Nice buck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts