The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
congrats on your bear, that looks like the size my dad shot several years ago with a rifle. That will make a nice bear rug. ad had one made with his. I wouldn`t pass it up either. Any ideas on what you`re doing with it, a rug or mount.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropped off to have it soft tanned. Going to put it over a sofa or one of the wing back chairs. My son heads to USAF and I get my office back. I’ve a gator head/neck and a few other things. Thinking of getting a Black Forest plaque deal for my PA buck from this opener. Have a box of nice racks that need a home as well. We have a nice formal living space but pre-church the original guy had a huge elk on one side of the fireplace and a huge moose on the other. I’m feeling like I need to at least match his 😏

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Congrats! Great trophy!

Not to try and talk you out of a soft tan, but I had my last bear done that way and wish I'd done something else with it. I have two rugs that drape over my couches nicely, a full mount of a big bear, another full mount of a small one sitting on a log, and a half mount of a medium bear. I like the rugs and half mount best. The full mount of the big one takes up too much space.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Outstanding bear, congrats!

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, I’m looking for a rug look I think without the full head. I actually had a rug made with the last one. Unfortunately, it didn’t make it back from the Taxi and 18 years later I doubt it’s coming.

For a head/rug I’d like to get one rather long/large one for the living room but I’m sort of the “specimen”type or however it should be called. One or two nice to exceptional animals I would like if that makes sense. I’ve also seen a few “cased” bears which I like. It’s a beautiful coat but I’ve seen how tanning can shrink them and it’d be a pretty small rug.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be biased growing up with Uncles having mounts of every deer including spikes and full bodies of bears/deer along with high fence exotics. I may regret it as I get older but I can look at the split racks in a crate in my garage and recall much of the emotion.

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Thanks for the input, I’m looking for a rug look I think without the full head. I actually had a rug made with the last one. Unfortunately, it didn’t make it back from the Taxi and 18 years later I doubt it’s coming.

For a head/rug I’d like to get one rather long/large one for the living room but I’m sort of the “specimen”type or however it should be called. One or two nice to exceptional animals I would like if that makes sense. I’ve also seen a few “cased” bears which I like. It’s a beautiful coat but I’ve seen how tanning can shrink them and it’d be a pretty small rug.
Thing I don't like about my soft tan is it's not very soft, and the head is distorted. Could be just peculiar to my specific hide, it's the only one I've had done that way.

My rugs are both smallish bears, 87 & 110 pounds, and, IMO are perfect size for rugs... people who see them think they were much bigger bears. The felt mounting adds quite a bit to the appearance of size. Large bear rugs take up a lot of room. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I have a tanned 400#'er that an old friend shot yrs ago at our old camp.....its heavy as ****, and extremely warm as a blankey! Lol....unhandy as a blankey, but really warm.....and kinda stiff the way it was tanned....ask to be sure it gets soft

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Congratulations! I had my last one soft tanned, it’s tacked to the wall at camp. I was happy with how it turned out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts