The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of taking the back sight off my Firestorm and adding a peep. I have one from my Omega that I removed when I mounted the scope. I've used both and think that a peep is a bit more accurate? What do you think?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think it's all up to personal preference. I use a couple rifles with peep sights. Probably my favorite is a combination of both called a V-peep made by RMC that was legal to use prior to the recent law change that made peep sights legal to use in the late flinter season. It mounts where the rear sight is located on my T/C.

Brian Pearce did an article in a recent Rifle magazine issue that compared the accuracy of open sights vs. peep sights and scopes all on the same rifle. The results were virtually identical until the target got out beyond 100 yards.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When the PGC changed the rules to allow peep sights on flinters, I think I was prolly the first guy on the computer to order one.

I ordered the Lyman 57SML and it fit right on my T\C Hawken. (Go to this link and scroll down just a bit and you will find the #57SML peep sight)

The nice things about the sight is first, it gives you a longer sight line because the peep is mounted back on the tang.....but for me, the best part is since I'm looking thru the peep, it completely blocks my vision of the flash going off in the pan. So.....my flinch is now gone!!!!

But....I also love to shoot peep sights. So...it's a win, win, win for me.

FWIW

Dave

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
I have no experience with peeps on a ml but had one on an 03-A3 Springfield rifle. It was very accurate in GOOD light but worthless in low light or real foggy conditions.

·
Registered
12,715 Posts
Dave, did you have to drill at all on your Hawken to make this sight fit? Did you have to remove the original back sight?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Octagon,

I didn't have to drill the tang on my Hawken. If you look at the tang mount on your M\L, if you have that small hole (it will be threaded) in between the two screws that hold the tang on the stock, then the Williams should fit right there.

I think some T\C tangs did not that that middle hole drilled and tapped from the factory, so if you didn't have it, you had to have a smith or machinist do it.

You really do need to remove the rear sight. Actually, if your gun is all sighted in, (like mine was) I just lined up my peep sight with the rear sight and front sight, then removed the rear sight and it was right on the money!

Dave

·
Banned
900 Posts
Have both peep and fo. Like the peep better but dim light is causing issues. Cant see the sites well enough. Bought some new fo in a very bright yellow...gonna see what that does.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Do you guys remove your REAR sight? Some say they like to leave it on... which TANG screw did you use for your TC Hawken the front or back?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Don't want to mess with anything this close she's printing pretty good at 50 yards but would like to try a peep, thinking on the Lyman have T/C hawken with the third screw on tang, but it runs in my mind that T/C used to offer a tang peep just wondering if they still market it and if anyone knows how much of a job it would be to install?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just put a peep on my Lyman deerstalker. Already tapped and took me longer to get the sight out of the package than it did for me to install. Looking forward to sighting it in and doing some huntin' with it. NJ muzzleloader season goes to middle of February and can't wait!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts