The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Stetam said:
While negative may be the correct answer the OP doesn't say he has a LTCF - not that you need it to open carry but if his "holster" doesn't really appear like a conventional holster he may get a hard time from certain LEO's - they might consider it concealed. Just food for thought.

My advice get a LTCF and carry however you want, no need to worry.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
I have checked cases under the state law, and the law requires a permit to carry concealed on the person. There is no law or case that I could find that defines what is "open carry." If the gun is plainly visible to anyone 30 feet away, I would say that is PROBABLY open. If it is hidden in a holster that covers the entire thing, who knows. (Walk into a police station that way and let me know what the judge says! kidding of course) It is a shame that the legiscritters can't be more clear in the statutes. There is also a difference between an obvious holster and a Sat Nite special hidden in a belt pouch. But try to put that into legislature-ese! To be safe, some significant part of the gun should be visible to anyone approaching the armed person on that side. After all, the statute says a permit is required to carry the gun concealed on the person. If the holster conceals the gun and it is on the person the strict language of the statute to a liberal big city anti gun judge may get you a criminal record. If it were me, I'd want to make sure the GUN was visible.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Get an LTCF, and you can carry it any way you want and not worry if such a holster makes it concealed. You also need an LTCF to open carry in Philly.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Stetam said:
This is correct so long as
this is your normal holster but just with a flap that is often found on the military type holsters and such and NOT a holster that's intent is on hiding or does hide it's purpose as a holster then it's open.
Of course always remember it's not the arresting officer who decides if you are guilty or not of breaking a law.
So COULD you encounter a problem? Sure , just ... like ... with ... anything ... else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts