The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am a board member of a cun club in northampton county and I could use some help.
We have had a "no loaded guns in the clughouse" rule for decades do to our insurance carrier. We also have rifle,pistol, archery and trap ranges, along with a catering club liquor lic. The clubhouse is open 7 days a week, as are the ranges. In the past 10 years we have had 1 or 2 members come inside the clubhouse wearing unloaded sidearms, open carry. I have always thought , no big deal it is a gun club, no harm, no foul, the guns were unloaded. Recently, we have had a few more members coming into the club house, open carry, unloaded. I was approached by another board member this evening, and he explained that he asked the members that are currently coming into the clubhouse with open carry side arms, to come to our board meeting on monday. Then I am told that some members that frequent the clubhouse only to drink, feel uncomfortable about the open carry of side arms in the clubhouse, and that we (the board) need to put a stop to it. I explained that the club by laws state that the club will always support the 2nd amendment in every way possible. Since the members are not breaking the law carrying in the open, and they are not breaking the no loaded gun rule we need to just leave it alone, and let it pass. He tells me that 5 or 6 members left the club house because they felt uncomfortable about the open carry of unloaded guns, and that the club is losing money when this happens. I said that the members felt uncomfortable when we installed security cameras, but we installed them anyway, and that the members that that felt uncomfortable and left, have every right to leave, just as the open carry guys have every right to stay, as long as the guns are unloaded.
So know I have this meeting to look forward to on monday. I have to explane to some of the other board members that this is a gun club with a bar, and not a bar that happens to be next to a gun club. This club has different classes of membership, active and life, wich can use the ranges and grounds and vote, and social, wich cant vote, or use the grounds, they can only frequent the clubhouse.
I do not want this situation to come to a membership vote, it would tear the membership apart with a "us" vs "them" vote, but I just cant just lay back swallow the hypocritical dogma that I fear is coming. It will sound something like this,
" no guns inside the clubhouse except:
during block shoots,
when guns are being raffled inside the clubhouse,
club owned guns used at block shoots,"
And so on. I feel that I might as well be back in new jersey with all the "exceptons" to carrying a gun.
I need any and all opinions on this issue, please, so I can better understand, and then, be better understood.
depending on how this works out, I may be a ex-board member the next you hear from me.
thanks to all who can reply,
Sincerly,
Roland45

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
like you said they need to learn that is a club with a bar not the other way around.. and the sec you tell some one that they are a paying member to a Gun club that they cant carry ther gun in the open even though its just the club house i think you will lose more members then you thought you would ... even though guys might not open carry as a choice of ther own but when you put it too them that is a new rule they might take it really bad.. lot of guys are really hard core on the second in side they might deside not to open carry but given the push that would give.. you could turn the whole club in to a bad fight over every thing after that...

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Stick to your principles.If some are uncomfortable,with members open carry,of unloaded guns.Then they should go drink somewhere else.Sounds as though that is the only reason they come to the club.The others are breaking no laws or violating club rules.They should not be pealized,because a few drinkers don't like it.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
sounds like they should have joined an elks club instead. and most are looking for cheap booze not a gun club.

why should people that ejoy comming to shoot have rights taken away by guys that only come to escape their wives and get a cheap load on ?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Stick to the policy. I am a big supporter of open and concealed carry but the club is private property. If some dont like it, they can join another club. If the insurance carrier finds out you may lose your insurance also.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
That is why I will NEVER join any shooting club that also serves booZe.I have nothing against drinking,but eventually the drunks take over and the shooters pay.I would tell them that THIS IS A GUN CLUB FIRST,NOT A TAVERN.JMHO
Jim

4095 hit the nail on the head,These guys are looking for a cheap place to get thier drink on,and never had any intentions of anything else.How many of the lushes come when there is a work party?I;m willing to bet not many..IF ANY.

·
Registered
504 Posts
PA/MDBowhunter said:
If they are uncomfortable around guns, they should not be in a gun club.
My thought's also,if you are in a gun club how can you feel uncomfortable around guns. Maybe I am missing something.

Model 37

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flan,
our insurance is not an issue on this one, If we let loaded guns in the clubhouse that would be a different story.
We actually get help at our work partys from most of the membership. It really is a decent club, with many many decent members, active and social alike. This is what makes it so difficult. If it were just the lushes, it wouldnt bother me as much. But we have active members who feel uncomfortable as well.
I have emailed one of the open carry guys and asked him not to come to the board metting. I do not see where this issue is going to be hammered out in just one board meeting. I also cant see why some one needs to be called in to defend themselves / explain themselves when they havent broken any of the club rules. Since this is the time of year when all memberships need to be renewed, If needed, I will make a motion to start a opinion pool of all active and life members on this subject. It would take about a month or 2 to complete, and that way there will be know knee jerk reactions to any "resonable gun control" at the club.
Please keep the opinions / suggestion coming!!
Thank you.
Roland

·
Banned
10,667 Posts
why the heck would you wanna open carry a unloaded firearm anyways? were they trying to intimidate the other members of the club?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think the questions should be posed as "is this a gun club or a bar?" if the answer is both then support 2nd ammendment rights and let the gun cub members go in the bar area open carry, if you ban guns from any area that is owned by the gun club you have already lost to the drinkers. Is'nt there a rule somewhere about never use alcohol and firearms at the same time which brings it back around to the question of is this a gun club or a bar?

My opinion is to tell the drinkers that this was a gun club before it was a bar and go find somewhere else to drink if they dont like it.

·
Super Moderator
4,749 Posts
Roland why would you ask one of the open carry guys to not attend the meeting?My club encourages any member to attend meetings.By the way the meetings may go smoother if the bar was closed on meeting days or closed for several hours before and during the meetings.If members leave new members will take their place no matter how it turns out.I would leave it as it now stands.It is a gun club not a bar.In my opinion a social member that can't vote has no right to try and change any club rule.If they change and become a active member then they can bring it up for a vote.The measure should not even be put up for a vote unless an active member is concerned.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just my opinion on this one. Booze and guns don't mix. Put the guns in your car or locker before you go in the bar or drink. You don't use the range at all if you are under the influence. No exceptions. If you want to drink after the range session; fine; but put the firearms away. Your done anyway and for that matter why would anyone want to carry an unloaded gun anyway.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Why don't you just ban the booze?

Its not a necessity.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
adudeuknow said:
why the heck would you wanna open carry a unloaded firearm anyways? were they trying to intimidate the other members of the club?

well could be lots of reasions.. they might have food in ther.. and every place has pop...
i dont drink and when i was apart of a club me and my friends used to go every week end made the day of it..
and when its hot out side we would stop for a while go in to the bar get a sandwitch and coke then go back to shooting..
i all ways had my h&k or my rugger 44 on my hip we were out shooting then take a brake..
. why should guys have to put ther stuff all way in ther car just to take a seat for a few mins and get cool off cause some one sees a gun on ther side even unloaded at that..even if they are done for the day and they want to get a beer... if they have to go all the way to the car they are going to keep going so your gona lose money both ways around.. the bigist thing is were do you really want to lose members... a few that want to drink or a lot of guys that want too shoot.. because again you might not see them doing it.. you start maken gun laws like that your going to lose a few members you were not expecting too especialy now that its dues time....

what do you think most of the members would feel once a rule like that gets out.. a gun club that dosent alow open unloaded carry in ther members house.. it would get spun around 30 different ways an none would be good for your club

its just as most have said they need to open ther eyes itsa gun club first ..

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
before the board meeting starts discussion on this matter have the rules and by laws of the club read ...to see if there is any violations of any..if not move that the discussion be closed..get a second and let those who things that you need a rule write it up put it to a vote by the members

·
Registered
25,641 Posts
If it's like most clubs that sell booze and food, that's the source of most of their annual income.

Once belonged to such a place that's only about a mile from our house. Left it over 25 years ago to join a true sportsmen's club that's about 6 miles away, no regrets.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts