The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a lot of knife quality in the $25 range? Curious anyone own one or any other Ontario Knife products?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have quite a number of Ont blades and they are all hard use quality. Good value !!

Reactions: Loggy

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Birdog. I think im gonna get a RAT-1 to leave in my camp for general use or in case I lose my carry knife while hunting there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pretty sure they are all 1095 unless specified. Can't beat good ol 1095 :)

Reactions: Loggy

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have a Rat II they are AUS-8 steel.I've carried and used it every day for a couple years.They are a very solid well build knife.AUS-8 is no super steel but hold a decent edge and doesn't take much to touch it up.For $25 they are a very good knife.They make the Rat-II in D-2 I lost my knife for a couple days and ordered a D-2 one but haven't used it.If they make the Rat-II in it I would think the Rat-I would come in it too.

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My RAT-1 arrived today & it does have AUS-8 stamped on blade. Knife is very well/heavily constructed and razor sharp out of the box.
A good buy for $25.

·
Premium Member
23,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found this on a knife forum:

What is AUS 8 steel?

The Japanese-made AUS 8 steel is often considered an upper-range steel, comparable if not better than steels such as 440C, CM-154, and D2 steels. Given a proper heat treatment and hardened to the right level, which is usually around 58 to 59 HRC, it will perform satisfyingly and meet the standards of a true quality stainless steel. A well-rounded composition allows for this steel grade to reach high levels of hardness, toughness, wear (the sideways shifting of the metal from its original position) and corrosion (the gradual destruction of metals) resistance, as well as edge retention (the ability to retain its sharp edge).

·
Registered
388 Posts
you fellas are correct regarding the rat2 steel.
I cannot agree with the statrement that aus8 is comparable or better than 440C, D2 or cm154.
Just doesn't measure up.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The only AUS-8 knife I have is the Rat-II.I know in the knife I have it doesn't hold a edge nearly as long as knives in the steels birddog listed.I still like it holds an edge long enough for what I use it for and very easy to get scary sharp.But if I needed to use a knife long term and not be able to touch it up I'd carry something else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts