The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tilled yesterday and got the onions in.Plan on sugar peas,spinach,and lettuce on Monday.

·
Registered
39,972 Posts
Just checked the supermarket. My onions are in too.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Might go buy a small roto tiller, my son lives an hour away and tha's a little trouble to go over an borrow his, when he needs it too.....

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
RonM said:
Might go buy a small roto tiller, my son lives an hour away and tha's a little trouble to go over an borrow his, when he needs it too.....
I have one of those mini-Bolenz tillers. A lot cheaper than a Mantis, doesn't spin quite as fast, but it works in my small strip of a garden. It has been going good for 4 years, this will be the 5th....

·
Registered
666 Posts
The mantis tillers are beasts. I wouldn't want to try to do the whole garden with one but I got mine for going between rows and around tomato cages and stuff like that. I was very impressed.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
RonM,
Don't think we are talking about the same thing. My mini-Bolenz was something like $99 on sale and is a little heavier than the Mantis.

This is the one I have.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_97572-65481-BL410_4294778658__?productId=1204383&Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1#BVRRWidgetID

Unfortunately, the reviews are less than stellar on it (mostly the newly purchased ones so they probably cheapened up the build quality). Also, when mine was purchased by my dad as a gift 5 or so years ago, he only paid $99 for it. I run synthetic oil in the gas, use Seafoam in the gas all the time (same for all my small engine equip. and boat motors) and I winterize with a larger dose of Seafoam for winter and run the "juiced" gas into the carb. Haven't had a problem getting it started every spring and it has run fine for me. I better go knock on some wood right now though based on some of the reviews on the Lowes website! I bet some of that is due to bad care by the owners and some probably due to lower quality parts. Some of the "older" machines that had been reviewed on there (5 or 6 yrs old) seemed to have better reviews.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I was talking about a full sized albiet small front tined tiller . I used to have a Mantis for shrub beds......

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Thanks to 410'er we got our onion snow today!

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
I'm glad others buy, grow and sell. Then people buy them. I'm of the buy crowd. ( as in after sell )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts