The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday evening I decided to sit in a treestand in Allegheny County looking to fill my 2B tag and top off the freezer. I hunt hunted this stand quite a bit in the early season but saw more bucks than does from it and never got a shot at a doe. Come late season, this spot seems to hold more does in bigger groups so I gave it a go on the frigid 12 degree evening.

The action began quick when I spotted a 15 inch 6 point I was quite familiar with and a doe about 150 yards away. They never fed my way. At 3:15, I had 3 does and a 13 inch 8 point come strolling past at 30 yards but behind a bunch of honeysuckle. 15 minutes later the same 8 point came past at 15 yards without the does.

Near the end of shooting time, crunching from behind me caught my attention and 3 does were headed my way. The lead one came through my shooting lane at 20 yards and I stopped her for the shot. The shot felt good and she only went about 40 yards before stopping to sway back and forth, then down she went. I thought I smoked her. After waiting 15 minutes I began to lower my bow and her head came up, she stood up and walked way. My hear sank. I thought she was stone dead. I climbed down to get my arrow. There was dark blood covering all of it and some blood in the snow but there was a faint smell of gut on the shaft. I began to think liver, so I backed out for the night with the very cold temps and let her go till morning, knowing the meat would be fine.

I got back in there this morning at first light and found her about 40 yards from her first bed. I can't believe she gout up after 15 minutes and walked off after seeing the shot. You can see the entrance in the picture. The arrow entered there and exited liver and slight gut on the other side. I have no idea how she made it as long as she did but I am quite sure she died soon after I left. When I cleaned her out she was cold inside.

Man, she was tough!! Taken with the CamX crossbow, Black Eagle arrows and a 3 blade Swhacker.

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
When it is extremely cold outside, the deer tends not to bleed as much and they become more resilient. I once shot a doe in the pit of an old coal strip mine, while standing at the top of the high wall with my .35 Remington @ about 40 yards.
The brisket split in two and the doe couldn't stand on her front feet, but she was able to lay on the ground and spin around in a circle for about 20 minutes, while I walked to the end of the cut and came down into the pit.
I swore that was the last deer I would shoot with a .35 Remington.
It was 1* outside at the time and boy was I stupid.
I gave that rifle away, 12 boxes of shells, the dies, scope, everything for $350.00

When it is warm outside, their adrenaline flows a lot better than when it is cold outside and they are trying to conserve energy.
Just because you shot it in the boilermaker doesn't mean that it was automatically going to die on the spot. I guess you just need to get more experience under your belt.
The only question I have is HOW did you KNOW that the one buck had a 13 inch spread.
Did it stop and let you measure it? Could it have been 12 or maybe 14 inches? LOL

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just because you shot it in the boilermaker doesn't mean that it was automatically going to die on the spot. I guess you just need to get more experience under your belt.
Thanks for the advice but I can't remember how many I have shot with a bow after 30 years of bowhunting. I have a pretty good idea how a deer should react based on the where the arrow hit.

The only question I have is HOW did you KNOW that the one buck had a 13 inch spread.
Did it stop and let you measure it? Could it have been 12 or maybe 14 inches? LOL
Yeah. Could have been 12 or 14 but my educated guess was 13 using the ear tips as a guide.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice ......you are VERY fortunate to get a area like that to hunt.
No doubt. I have a few areas in Allegheny County I have permission to hunt. Almost lost this spot a few years and probably will soon. I have permission from two landowners that connect to each other. The one is getting old and will be selling soon. If I lose that half of the property, it will become too tight to hunt, even with a bow. Just would not be comfortable shooting a deer in there as there would be a fair chance of it exited the woods into residential areas.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
No doubt. I have a few areas in Allegheny County I have permission to hunt. Almost lost this spot a few years and probably will soon. I have permission from two landowners that connect to each other. The one is getting old and will be selling soon. If I lose that half of the property, it will become too tight to hunt, even with a bow. Just would not be comfortable shooting a deer in there as there would be a fair chance of it exited the woods into residential areas.
Buy it!....or if that isn't an option...maybe he can recommend you to the new owner.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Congrats on the kill! That is crazy how she got back up and walked off. Must have only got 1 lung and missed the heart. Those quartering towards shots are tough.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Wow man, congratulations on the recovery. That entrance hole looks like a sure "dead within 50 yards" shot. They really are amazing animals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts