The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Age is starting to catch up with me with the seed planting chore. I have been looking at the one row seed planters, looked at one at a local family farm type store but it looked liked a child's toy (nearly all plastic) for $99.00. Does anyone use one, do they work? likes/dislikes. Make? Seeds I mostly plant are corn, beets, peas, radishes and green beans.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Earthway seeder?

Have never used one, but have seen them being used from time to time.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I use my neighbors and it works good. I think they are over priced for what they are. I know he has his for years so they must hold up. I still do the majority of planting by hand.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.yardlover.com/vegetable-garden-seed-row-planter-by-lambert

I was looking at one that would fertlize and plant at the same time such as in the link above. Best price I could find was around $129.00 on the inner net for this style. The one at family farm center was similiar to the one above, but I was not impress with it being nearly all plastic.

Earthway was my 2nd option.

Blueeagle; What make do you use?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have the Earthway with the optional fertilizer bin, It works great dont know why I didn't get one sooner. Where in south central Pa are you located??
I think Tractor supply sells the earthway one.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
suskyducker said:
I have the Earthway with the optional fertilizer bin, It works great dont know why I didn't get one sooner. Where in south central Pa are you located??
I think Tractor supply sells the earthway one.
I live in a rural area, closest place of any size would be Chambersburg. The store I looked at one was Tractor supply, advertising flyer just listed it as Garden Seeder $99.99. I'll check the innernet some more for Earthway with optional fertilizer bin.

suky: Does yours look more like the one at the top in my link above or the earthway pic at bottom in the link?

·
Registered
615 Posts
We have a earthway ,,,,Use it for all seeds.. for about 16 yrs,,,,...Extended the row marker for sw, corn..also have a troybuilt & a mantis.....

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
My neighbor left my Dad borrow his last year (not sure of the brand) and it was planting multiple seeds at a time. My Dad gave it back to him and went back to doing it by hand.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replys. Bought the earthway. Those of you who use a earthway how do you fertlize your rows. Wait till seeds come thru the ground and side dress or fertlize right over the top after planting?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I usually plant the seeds and then fertilize along side the row on a second pass. It only takes a few extra minutes to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I use one for field corn at my father in laws. I don't know the brand. It works well and comes with different plates for different seed sizes. It has a fertilizer hopper but it's about next to worthless. I just make a row in the dirt of fertilizer by hand and then run over that row with the planter. Using one really speeds it up. You need to prepare a good seed bed first.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Best thing since sliced bread!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts