The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opening for one person to fish for haddock, then stripers and whatever else once we get our limit on Saturday 6/15. Boat is Big Fish charters out of Marshfield/Green Harbor marina. 12 hour trip, could possibly carpool & stay with us, or meet up there. PM me if interested, thanks for looking!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If my club was not having a mortgage burning on the 15th I would take you up on the invitation. I never fished for Haddock, but I like to eat them.

Reactions: Uncle Nicky

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was the trip?
We did well. The weather wasn't the best, but we made lemonade out of lemons, never was able to find the 6th person, so 5 of us fished. We weren't able to make it out far enough to fish for pollock (too windy), so we targeted haddock & cod. Wound up with a limit of haddock, and a handful of hake; slow pick at first but the bite really turned on after lunch. The biggest surprise though was the number of cod....probably as many as haddock, but in that area of Cape Cod you can't keep any. My understanding is that the rules are relaxing finally, and starting this fall you can keep 1. I'm heading back up to fish on a party boat next month, to George's Bank where you CAN keep cod, but that is mostly jigging, not bait. Haddock are GREAT eating fish. :D

Attachments

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip!! Some fine eating there!!

Back when Yankee Capts ran offshore trips out of Gloucester to Cashes Ledge & Georges Bank...I did 4 trips. They were overnite/3 day trips. We normally brought home about 150 lbs of cod, & pollock fillets. Normally only caught about a half dozen haddock. We did 100% deep water jigging with 18-22oz needle jigs. Those were the days!!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a fun trip!! Some fine eating there!!

Back when Yankee Capts ran offshore trips out of Gloucester to Cashes Ledge & Georges Bank...I did 4 trips. They were overnite/3 day trips. We normally brought home about 150 lbs of cod, & pollock fillets. Normally only caught about a half dozen haddock. We did 100% deep water jigging with 18-22oz needle jigs. Those were the days!!

Sweet. I'm going on Helen H, it's one day fluking near Nantucket, and the next day cod/pollock at George's Bank. I am pretty sure Yankee Captains is still in business.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sweet. I'm going on Helen H, it's one day fluking near Nantucket, and the next day cod/pollock at George's Bank. I am pretty sure Yankee Captains is still in business.
Yes still in business but Capt Greg is only running trips out of Key West, FL.

·
Registered
19,767 Posts
Better watch those Cape Cod trips, or Some of those 150 great whites they are seeing might be talking about what good eating Pennsylvanians are.>:)

Reactions: Uncle Nicky

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Better watch those Cape Cod trips, or Some of those 150 great whites they are seeing might be talking about what good eating Pennsylvanians are.>:)
Yep...I know a few of our hook-ups came in with just their head in tact. Wouldn't want to go overboard for sure.:surprise2:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the photos too. I just did a fluke and sea bass charter last week out of Belmar, NJ. It was orginally supposed to be a Blues trip but the captain said they're just not getting many at the moment and nothing of real size. He said it's actually been that way with the Blues ever since Sandy, they're just not around the Jersey Shore in the numbers and size runs like they used to be.

Anyway we had a decent day of fishing and the weather was beautiful. Not many keeper fluke in the boat but I got one of them, my first. We did pretty good on the sea bass and also caught a bunch of ling- all good eating! We caught some skate and the number of sea robins almost became a nuisance. One lady caught a nice mackeral too.

I hadn't hit the salt in a few years and this trip really renewed my interest to do it more.i have a surf rod but now I'm also looking to get a boat rod too and start taking some party boat trips and maybe another charter when the sea bass limits expand in the fall.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the photos too. I just did a fluke and sea bass charter last week out of Belmar, NJ. It was orginally supposed to be a Blues trip but the captain said they're just not getting many at the moment and nothing of real size. He said it's actually been that way with the Blues ever since Sandy, they're just not around the Jersey Shore in the numbers and size runs like they used to be.

Anyway we had a decent day of fishing and the weather was beautiful. Not many keeper fluke in the boat but I got one of them, my first. We did pretty good on the sea bass and also caught a bunch of ling- all good eating! We caught some skate and the number of sea robins almost became a nuisance. One lady caught a nice mackeral too.

I hadn't hit the salt in a few years and this trip really renewed my interest to do it more.i have a surf rod but now I'm also looking to get a boat rod too and start taking some party boat trips and maybe another charter when the sea bass limits expand in the fall.
Yes, the bigger chopper blues that I remember as a kid don't spend a lot of time off of NJ like they used to, other than the same time the stripers show, spring & fall (following the bunker bait fish). Maybe not such a bad thing, since they're pretty rough eating.:rotfl:; but they do give a great fight. There are plenty off of Long Island right now, they'll stay there until about November. Good luck, saltwater fishing can get addictive.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kept a couple BIG blues I caught in Long Island this weekend, first I've caught in a while. Just took them out of the smoker, took a little nibble, and it is very good, I think I will make smoked fish dip out of some of it.

Attachments

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Looks yummy!! That's one way to tame those slammer sized blues. I like to pan fry lil snappers.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Nice!! Some fine eating there!! Looks like a lil chop out there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts