Super Moderator
3,952 Posts
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would you shoot that ?
They're such unique and cool deer, and I enjoy seeing them, so that part of me leans toward no. That being said, I don't like the idea of those bad genetics being spread around. There are two albinos and a nearly completely white piebald in my area already. So in the interest of curbing the spread of bad genetics, that part of me leans toward yes.

What complicates this is that these deer are in suburban setting and I hunt a borough owned property as a part of a management program. Our goal, in addition to culling the herd, is to lay low and be as unnoticed as possible. I had a landowner ask me specifically not to shoot the piebald doe and I agreed that I wouldn't. I no longer hunt that person's property, but for me a promise is a promise. If word got around that I shot one of these, it might create some ill will that neither I nor the management program wants or needs.

I don't often hunt right where I have my camera set up. It's a great spot for a camera, but my tree stand set up there isn't as good as I'd like, and I get busted because I don't have a tree that gets me high enough or provides sufficient concealment. I've shot a few deer there, but my hunts there much more often result in frustration rather than success. I've got a better set up to hunt in a woodlot a ways down the tree line. Funny, that's not a good spot for a camera set up, but I've had much more consistent success there.

I've never seen any of the albinos while on stand, and it's only been the past couple months that I've got them on my trail cam. In the past, the little piebald doe would hang out in an area about a mile or so away. The buck in my other post and this white doe I'd never seen before. I guess it's a little too late for a short answer to your question, but I guess the answer is I'd have to talk this over with my management program coordinator, but I'd lean towards not shooting any of them and specifically not shooting the little piebald.

·
Registered
21,257 Posts
I suspect if you did shoot any of them, there would be a firestorm from local residents that do not hunt.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the chance to shoot one years ago but passed. I just thought it was part of natures beauty and other people enjoy seeing them. Besides there are a lot of brown ones , well there were back then !

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Nice cam catch!...what will be very interesting is if she was bred...and what her offspring will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts