The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A decoy modification. I buy cheap dekes because they take alot of abuse from me. This was originally a cheap rubber hen deke, I altered the paint scheme, added some iridescensce and sheen to give him the appearance of gobbler plumage (really looks great in the sun, pic was cloudy so can't see the full effect very well), a stubby beard, and added a casting of a real head from my taxidermist friend, complete with glass eyes. I also have a mod that allows me to quickly attach a fan for a strutter set. (Minus the dropped wings and tucked body position.) I've had good luck using similar of my creations like this in the past, and less bulky and more versatile than carrying a strutter deke around. Added this cast head last spring, late in the year and just touched up the paint a little bit the other day. I think it'll work pretty well...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some great ideas put into that. Great job. Agree with earlier post about being careful with the beard in places where other hunters have access.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That looks great! I might try and make something like that myself. If you dont mind me asking, what for cost did you have into the head? Also, I don't know how much removing the beard would help with safety. There are people out there that just look for a red head and shoot, then chek the beard later.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Borden811 said:
That looks great! I might try and make something like that myself. If you dont mind me asking, what for cost did you have into the head? Also, I don't know how much removing the beard would help with safety. There are people out there that just look for a red head and shoot, then chek the beard later.
It's funny you ask. I was in at my taxidermist, and his shop was kind of a mess. This head was just lyin on a table in the corner. I thought at first it was an actual freeze dried head that he usually uses in his mounts, but no it was a casting of a head. I wanted to buy it from him and he refused, just let me take it. He had already painted it and set the eyes, but it had been lying around for a few yrs, so I just brightened up the colors a bit. It looks fantastic. Thanks for the comments guys. I would recommend just asking a taxidermist. Casting is a common technique. They can probably get you one cheap or if you know him well, prob for free.

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
Will the added paint hold up during the bending, folding and carrying in the field?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts