The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it legal to shot from or across roads that are closed to motorized vehicles except for disables on SGL? I noticed some new roads in place for access to gas wells and the workers travel these roads every other day to check the tanks. Do the laws still apply to these access roads that wind and weave through out the SGL to those wells?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
easterndog said:
Is it legal to shot from or across roads that are closed to motorized vehicles except for disables on SGL? I noticed some new roads in place for access to gas wells and the workers travel these roads every other day to check the tanks. Do the laws still apply to these access roads that wind and weave through out the SGL to those wells?
Below is the applicable Title 34 code. Key words/phrases are "public highway", "highway open to use or used by the public", and "roadway". In your example, for roads open to disabled hunters, it sounds like "roadway open to use by the public" would apply, depending upon the specific road.

Sec. 2504. Shooting on or across highways.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for any person to shoot at any game or wildlife while it is on a public highway or on a highway open to use or used by the public or to shoot across a public highway or a highway or roadway open to use or used by the public unless the line of fire is high enough above the elevation of the highway to preclude any danger to the users of the highway. It shall be unlawful for any person, after alighting from a motor vehicle being driven on or stopped on or along a public highway or road open to public travel, to shoot at any wild bird or wild animal while the person doing the shooting is within 25 yards of the traveled portion of the public highway or road open to public travel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The road is not open to the public. It is only open to the workers and the handi capped. There is gates up that must be opened to access the area for those I mentioned.
In my opinion those roads are not open to the public.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
easterndog said:
The road is not open to the public. It is only open to the workers and the handi capped. There is gates up that must be opened to access the area for those I mentioned.
While the road may not be open to the public, and you may be legal shooting across the road, if I knew a road was being used by workmen & handicapped hunters I would exercise the same caution as if the road was "open to the public".

Why even risk shooting someone if your chances can be reduced by using a little common sense ? ? ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pa-Plinker said:
easterndog said:
While the road may not be open to the public, and you may be legal shooting across the road, if I knew a road was being used by workmen & handicapped hunters I would exercise the same caution as if the road was "open to the public".

Why even risk shooting someone if your chances can be reduced by using a little common sense ? ? ?
Not to many hunt this SGL. It isn't to hard to see or here a diesel truck comming down a road at a slow speed. Same with handi-capped in their loud atvs with orange on.

And now after thinking about it. The roads drive right beside where they stock pheasants at. So I am thinking now, that it is legal and when a gate is closed, it does not follow the same laws as main public roads.

Anyone elses opinion?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts