The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you become old and weak and can no longer pick up a deer and get it into the bed of your pick up. I carry a 6 foot step ladder or just a regular ladder, put ladder on ground roll 200 lb deer onto ladder pick up end with head facing forword place on tailgate, walk around to the back and pick up ladder and push into bed of p/u. works good when you are by your self with no help.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I got to thinking after reading your idea one of those ATV loading ramps would also work, I had a 174 lb buck that I liked to never get into the back of my pickup a few years ago, I liked your idea....

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Same idea, but different: Cut a sheet of plywood so it fits between the wheel wells of your pickup bed. Use it the same as the ladder... Pull the plywood out so it rests on the tailgate and the ground, drag deer onto "ramp", lift the rear of the plywood and slide into bed.
Doesn't take up any bed space so you can leave it in there all season long.

·
Super Moderator
4,388 Posts
Deuce280 said:
Same idea, but different: Cut a sheet of plywood so it fits between the wheel wells of your pickup bed. Use it the same as the ladder... Pull the plywood out so it rests on the tailgate and the ground, drag deer onto "ramp", lift the rear of the plywood and slide into bed.
Exactly what I've done for a few years now....

Plus my bed doesn't get all bloody like before....

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
This is why you should always take a kid hunting. LOL

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I keep a glenn's deer handle in my truck for that reason.It's amazing how easy you can pull a deer in the bed of a pick-up with one of those things.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Pull the plywood out so it rests on the tailgate and the ground, drag deer onto "ramp", lift the rear of the plywood and slide into bed.
The Deer, the plywood, or both ???

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I have been thinking of ways also . My idea was to throw the drag rope over a sturdy limb , then pull my Jeep Cherokee on the other end of the rope until the deer is above roof level . Then tie it off to a second tree , back the Jeep under the deer and lower onto the roof . This way I can drive to the butcher shop and have someone help take the deer off of the roof . Having a pickup truck would be way better , but we do what we have to do !

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Mine is similiar to the plywood trick, only I used some left over 1x6 treated decking boards- used 3 boards cut to 7' (the length of the truck bed) and 3 pieces 20" long--screwed the 3 long boards together with the 20" pieces at each end and in the middle to form a ramp. Kept the cross pieces in about 4" from the end so it doesn't fall off the tailgate.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I bought a 12' long 2x12 and cut into two 6' pieces and fastened them together with left over pieces of 1x4 at a few inches in from each end. Makes a very nice "deer ramp."
I hunt in this urban deer management program and you can't field dress your deer in the woods (too close to residences and parks I guess.) Try dragging a deer up over the tailgate with the entrails still in. I just about killed myself the first time and eventually had to get help. Hence the deer ramp.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I don't have a trailer hitch on my Jeep . Thanks for the generous offer , though. One of these days I may spend the cabbage to have one installed . I am not exactly genius material !!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i just drag mine down the road behind the truck. by the time i get to camp its skinned and ready to cut up. feel free to use my idea.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Even though I have a pickup truck. I just put one of those hitch racks on it. Keeps the blood out of the bed and I don't have to pick it up so high.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Squeaks said:
Even though I have a pickup truck. I just put one of those hitch racks on it. Keeps the blood out of the bed and I don't have to pick it up so high.
What is the big deal with the blood? Spray it out with a hose.

I tend to cringe when I see people driving around with a deer on a hitch rack. Unless the deer gets wrapped up there is all the road dirt getting all over the deer.

I like some of the ideas I seen on here to get a deer on the truck. I have always just through the drag rope into the truck, got into the bed, and walked backwards until the deer was in the truck.

My biggest problem was never getting them in the truck. It was getting them TO the truck. I need to buy a deer cart.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
The big deal about the blood in the bed is all my stuff is in the bed too. Clothes, cooler, and anything else I took to camp. It's nice to keep the 2 separated.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts