The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic that was on my camera from last year. Just something to wet your appetite. Pheasant season is coming and it's longer than last year. If you've just been thinking about it, it's time to get that dog. Pointer or flusher, having a dog along is so much better for many reasons.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If I didn't have the dogs I don't think I would look forward to fall as much as I do. I already went over the work schedule with my wife so I can get out as much as I can. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I have to admit that in years past with no dogs I did look forward to opening day... Then when I got one it was a fantastic experience and one that made archery almost 2nd fiddle... Then when I had no dog it was back to archery hunting but I still took time out to hunt opening day... And now this year with a dog at my side it can't come soon enough!!!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
You're right Buddy, if you live in Pa., or even one of the surrounding States this is a good time to have a good bird dog. There is sure to be plenty of action with the State now releasing over over 200,000 Ringnecks and decent grouse and woodcock in some areas. We had a great season last year and this year promises to be even better!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Saved plenty of vacation and sick time I am ready the dogs are ready my buddys are ready its been a long summer but our time is here! Good luck everyone lets get the cameras ready!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting my Brittany her first bird this year she's not polished by any means but heck she's only 1 1/2 yrs old

·
Registered
167 Posts
We just put a deposite down for a female German shorthair! We will be able to bring her home late November! Hopefully she'll be ready to go for next year but until then we will have ALOT of work to do!

I can't wait, upland bird hunting is my absolute favorite thing to do, and thn add a dog it makes it even better!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Game_Hunter said:
We just put a deposite down for a female German shorthair! We will be able to bring her home late November! Hopefully she'll be ready to go for next year but until then we will have ALOT of work to do!

I can't wait, upland bird hunting is my absolute favorite thing to do, and thn add a dog it makes it even better!
Way to go!

·
Registered
167 Posts
The breeder we are buying from starts them on basic obedience and gets them use a gun shot... They only get up to a .22 being fired right next to them but it's a start... We are allowed to get her at 9 weeks old.

When do you guys usually start them on "birds" (dead ones or wings on a string)? I read it's around 15 weeks and you only work birds once a week because to the puppy that's the most fun thing to do! Obedience gets boring to them...

Do any of you bird dog guys have any tips to offer? Things to do and don't?

·
Registered
595 Posts
Don't rush anything. Let the puppy be a puppy. Keep everything fun. Stop while you're ahead. By this I mean always stop any training session with the dog succeeding and not bored. It's a bird dog, exposure to birds is important. Make sure the first contacts are positive and get the dog fired up some. Let the dog be a puppy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
jk se pa we are getting our pup from a breeder out in east pa!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Game_Hunter said:
The breeder we are buying from starts them on basic obedience and gets them use a gun shot... They only get up to a .22 being fired right next to them but it's a start... We are allowed to get her at 9 weeks old.

When do you guys usually start them on "birds" (dead ones or wings on a string)? I read it's around 15 weeks and you only work birds once a week because to the puppy that's the most fun thing to do! Obedience gets boring to them...

First of all, and remember this please...enjoy EVERY minute of it, it will go buy all to quickly, I promise you!
Your pup is Not going to be perfect to start off and neighter will you so enjoy it.
It would be a good idea to train with other guys that have done this for a while. There is no substitute for hands on experience. But in the end he's your pup, and it's ONLY you he needs to please.

Obedience traing is a must and will make your time together that much more enjoyable. Once you get the yard work done, then it's birds , birds ,and more birds!
Enjoy the journey and let his genetic clock kick in!

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Game_Hunter said:

I had my dog out in the field pointing birds at 10wks old. Every dog is different and matures differently but if your pup shows plenty of drive I don't see much reason to wait until any set age. Not so much formal training with a young pup but the more exposure the better just make sure it's all positive. We basically went hiking and looking for birds & bunnies and anything else we found every day. Crossing streams, finding turtles, ground hog holes, etc these are all learning experiences and part of exposure.

A good puppy group socialization and obedience class is great for your pup too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts