The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, once in many PA hunters' lifetimes.

I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to follow this deer for three years and learned more than I can begin to explain. The memories created while hunting him will burn in me for the rest of my life and it is truly why I do this. Harvesting him was just the exclamation point.

I picked him up in velvet in August of 2014 as what I believed to be a 3.5 YO. This is as far back as I can identify him. I had two encounters with him that season (11/11 and 11/14) and elected to let him walk. He managed to survive and really add some inches in 2015. I picked him up again in velvet in the same area and knew he was a deer I wanted to try and kill. After lots of pictures, I finally had an encounter on 11/10. I watched him tend a hot doe for 90 minutes. He was inside 35 yards twice, but never offered a good shot. That was the last I saw of him in person or on camera in 2015. Fast forward to July this summer. I got my first pictures of him 7/9 and decided then I would target only this deer this season. I spent a lot of time listening to various podcasts (Wired2Hunt, Midwest Whitetail, and The Hunting Beast - I recommend all three) along with a lot of reading to learn more about mature buck tendencies. After a lot of scouting and summer prep, I had may first encounter with him on 10/24 on a 1/4 acre "kill plot". He came in 5 minutes after legal light and fed to 22 yards, but I did not attempt a shot. After a second encounter out of range on 11/5, I had another low light encounter on 11/7 at 35 yards, again no shot was taken. On veterans day I had the encounter of a lifetime, watching him tend and breed a doe multiple times over a 7 hour period. I had two more encounters with him while scouting between archery and open firearms. On 11/28 he came within 50 yards, but never offered a shot. He finally gave me the opportunity I waited so long for on 12/2, chasing two fawns in a cut corn field. He grossed 164 5/8 with approximately 5" broken off at what I believe a 5.5 year old. Truly an experience of a lifetime.

If you look at the picture of his main beams, you can still see the slight bend in the left main beam. I am guessing he had some type of injury to it 2014 and it never fully straightened out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,789 Posts
Outstanding buck, congrats!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Great buck, and a great story !! Congrats on taking a true quality PA buck, and for your patience and perciverance !

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Amazing buck. I truly wish I had the property to target a buck over more than 2 years. I get to hunt some private land but I always have outside factors that limit my opportunities.

Great job my friend.

Those three sources you mention are the best. No offense to this forum but some of those guys there are just absolutely elite and I'm a sponge every chance I get and love sharing what I have learned over the years as well.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
Congratulations on your persistence and your your success....AWESOME BUCK!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome adventure and buck. A lot cooler and more interesting than just showing up to a spot and shooting a buck you have no history with.

I have a buck I've been watching the past two years. Very hard to put the odds in my favor with hunting a 26 acre parcel, limited to weekends, and the amount of neighborhood hunting pressure. He's made one appearance while on stand well beyond getting any kind of shot. Maybe the 3rd year will be the year, if he makes it. This year he only showed up when a hot doe was on the property. The last picture I have of him is the week prior to rifle season. Unfortunately some trespasser decided he would take it upon himself to take down all my cameras. Waiting till rifle season is over to put them back up and maybe see if he is on the property for late season archery.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts