The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I tried to be interested and enthusiastic about the Olympic Games and could find women's gymnastics, and the winter games in general watchable. But the Games in Rio have finally ended any good feelings I had left for the whole shebang. I guess I have finally had enough of the drama surrounding the games; terrorist attacks, cheating scandals, political intrigue, untold millions spent on crappy accommodations and, now, health issues for the athletes. I don't know where the support of the International Olympics comes form but I am officially through with it. I hope none of my tax dollars go to support it; but I'll probably never know for sure.

·
Registered
39,328 Posts
I would like to know the cost of security for the Olympic Games. It must be astronomical. It's gotta be getting to the point where it's not worth it to host the games.

Then there are the stadiums/arenas that have to be built. Who pays for that?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Some of the venues will be converted for other purposes after the games are over.

Having daughters who grew up swimming (and one is about to be a senior and swims as a collegiate) I watch and enjoy the world class performances.

For the NBA players and pro golfers, it's an honor but not the penultimate in their sport. For many others (swimming included) this is The Top of The Mount. This is it for them. They've worked a lifetime to get there.

I've seen some of the athletes who competed in the trials in meets my daughters were in, and one girl is on the team. They are truly amazing in their sport. Until you understand a sport, and then see what they can do, it's hard to comprehend just how amazing they are.

So I root for them, representing the USA, and enjoy the good parts of sports and forget politics, terrorists, economics, and what not.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

These athletes are helping Make America Great Again!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
can't say i'm a big fan ,but I always wind up watching some of it.
i'm not a big fan of the most covered sports ,but I do like seeing obscure sports you don't see often in competition.
things like shooting , archery , fencing .
Ill often just randomly watch stuff just because its different. usually its woman's something.
then there are things you want to see because of the personal story behind it ,like on the refugee team theres a Syrian girl who swam 3.5hrs pushing a disabled boat full of refugees to shore.
i'll watch her swim.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If you watch US swimmer Katie Ledecky in the 5 events she'll be competing in, you may see some Olympic history being made.

She will almost certainly win gold in the 800 and 400 meter freestyle races. No one is really close to her in those events.

And has a good chance of winning gold in the 200 meters.

And she's in 2 relays where the US has good chances.

And she might set a new world record. She's been doing that a lot lately.

Quite the phenomenon.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
First US gold won by a WVU student in air rifle who only started shooting 5 years ago. Comes from a hunting family. Had a great interview in her first TV appearance.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

US teenager Ginny Thrasher got hooked on shooting when deer hunting with her grandfather and on Saturday that passion saw her past China's champion sharpshooters to claim the first gold medal of the Rio 2016 Games.Recounting the story of how she took up the sport in the first place she recalled: "It was 8th grade, my grandfather took me hunting, I got my first deer, I really liked the adrenalin. Sharp shooting saw Thrasher and Du (China) go head to head, with the young American, displaying maturity beyond her years, edging it on the final shot.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
well a kayakers dream was ruined when he hit a couch in the course was dumped

I seen a bike race that kinda hooked me ,few wipe outs ,one guy went over a small cliff and part of the course was on cobble stones .
it was so rough that bikes broke constantly along the stretch.
I watched the woman's rugby team crush who ever they played
and of course there was the French gymnast dude that destroyed his leg vaulting

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Way to go Pittsburgh native Leah Smith with the Bronze in the Women's 400M freestyle!

Katie Ledecky with a dominant world record Gold and our PA girl Leah brings home an Olympic medal.

Awesome.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
When I rewound it on my DVR and then watched it again when Abbott passed her, I seriously thought she might have died. She was in the same position the whole time. That said, there's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
they called it a "kerb"
it looked like a foot tall wall with a moat in front of it.
from reports I've heard 3 fractured vertebra and a concussion.
mara was already running cautious behind her I think the rain spooked her
then after she seen the crumpled dutch girl she wasn't gonna push it any harder and that cost her the race.

if she never seen the dutch girl on the way by I think she would have won

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
She was racing alone, and I think gave it everything she had on the hill climb. By the last km, I think she was just spent.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
she lost in the last 500m.
if she thought she was still chasing a leader on the high speed downhill ,it could have been the few seconds she needed.
as you said she was alone and there was no way she was going to hold off a 3 draft pack chasing

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
well a weight lifter clean jerked his elbow completely out of socket..
that had to hurt

great effort by Armstrong in the cycling individual time,
couldn't have seen easy with a nosebleed.

had fun watching the fencing and seen a kick azz ping pong match between china and japan
and the return of golf brought the first hole in one.
I also caught the dressage and cross country equestrian...
not sure why. why they do it and why I watched.

I also have caught some of the shooting.well what they have shown and it isn't much.
that's because the americans somehow SUCK at shooting!
how can this be ?I mean were Americans we sleep with guns and crap bullets
its an outrage and an embarrassment
we should absolutely OWN this sport

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Ever since I was a kid, I have loved the Olympics. Doesn't matter winter or summer for me. Doesn't matter the sport either. Just to see the athletic ability and level of commitment that these people put into their sport amazes me.
I can't even imagine the amount of effort it takes to earn any Olympic medal. You just have to be happy for them. I know if I was up on that podium and the US national anthem was playing, I'd be bawling my eyes out.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts