The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have things to do ? Do you have anyone to do things with ?
#1,I have things i like to do, like hunt,i use to fish,i do a lot of reloading and target shooting and i love photography outdoors.
#2,I,in 15 years,have not found anyone to share in these things with me. Why is it 15 years? I moved from my home to here back then,to work.
My grandson,i have taught him how to shoot and he is a good deer hunter,but he is into sports and does a lot of training and school means a lot to him.
I am the kind of person who will walk up to a stranger and say "HI,HOW YOU DOING?" 99% of the time they look at you like you are nuts!
The guys i worked with,a couple of them hunted,that was good.They talked a good hunt!
One of them you could make plans with and the next morning the phone would ring and he was sick and couldn't go?????? Turned out he had another hobby. Drinking at home to excess! Gave up on that one? The other guy,was a little on the legal border line type of hunter.He came off as the authority on guns and hunting!
It seems Mr.iv'e shoot lots of deer hadn't got one in 25 years??? After a little while of being around him at work,i wanted to stay away from him after work.If you know my reasons?
He got a deer,a buck,5 years ago! It cost him a good amount of money??? Seems he sneaked into a safety zone and shoot a 5 point! But,before he could get out of there the property owner had called a Game Protector and nailed him!!!!!!!
What hurts the most is 2 of the best deer hunters i know live down where i came from? These are my 2 sons!I have to travel 150 miles to have a hunting partner. I will not hunt alone,i am going to be 70 and am not mucho nor stupid!
I shoot often enough to keep in shape,{the shooting eye that is] but it is no fun anymore?
Do you have a buddy to share your fun with ?

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Willy. I don't have a hunting buddy for the most part. I'm on my own. Would I like a friend to call n say, Let go hunt today? Absolutely. I remember being crushed when I was left in the dust a few years ago by my dad n brother. My dad lives a good 50 miles from me and he told me yesterday that he's not going to hunt rifle this year because it's to cold for him. The reality is that our hunting season together is winding down. I just got a new job which will take up a huge part of my time. Any time spent with my brother will now be when our schedules jive. So, I am looking at another year alone in the woods. I know when I shot my buck last year, I had to make a phone call for help. I could not drag him at all. It will be the same again this year if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I've had several buddies over time but for whatever reasons I'm now pretty much a loner and I hate it. Sadly we are scattered across the state LOL. I limit myself to wall hangers mainly cause I ain't dragging a scrawny buck the 2miles back to my truck. The only doe I will shoot are injured ones or if I'm deer less I'll try to take one in the late season.

If I'm lucky then I have another problem - I'm very allergic to deer hair. I carry surgical gloves but I still have watch myself.

On the bright side my nephew is getting back into hunting after taking time off for school and career so I might be OK.

·
Registered
52,306 Posts
I'm like you icemole, many of mine have passed on, another had his arm amputated, another had kidney cancer like myself,so the gang just dwindled away.Now I go up with friends to a camp in Liberty, but haven't been up for 2 years due to dialysis, might try it thiss fall, can go to dialysis in Wellsboro for a week..

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Sounds like I am lucky to have my 75 year old brother to go hunting and fishing with whenever we wish. Even if he cramps my style, slows me down, is stubborn, always gets a deer or the bigger deer or fish, Needs a nap when it is time to butcher, and is an all around expert of woulda, shoulda, coulda, after the fact.

I would not change a thing. Waugh!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.