The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-size: 17pt"> 1723 King George I farthing</span> found the 28th of December 2013 in a farmers field.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That's cool ! There is the exact one ( 1723 ) on ebay now for $135.00
Just imagine the poor guy that lost that way back when, I am sure it was a big loss at the time.
Most old farmers I know will not go to the field with a wallet or any cash on them, good practice!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's always fun to find these old coins. It was neat because my daughter was with me this time and she got pretty excited about finding such an old piece of history. It definitely motivated her to cover a lot of ground that day as we continued detecting!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
brubincam said:
the oldest coin I ever found was a large cent dated 1818--on the floor of a laundra mat
Well thanks for sharing that !

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a couple pictures of it, The back is almost gone. I want to soak it in olive oil for a bit and see if I can get better detailed pictures.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Nice find! In about the same shape as mine

Regardless a find I was also ecstatic to make, congrats!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it really did, almost seemed like too good of a signal....solid and clean and only a couple inches deep. I wonder how many times this happens with old coins that get plowed up and plowed under year after year.

Bluedog

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
It's odd isn't it? My first large cent was 11inches and rang solid and true. My second was 1/2inch deep, 25yrs older and again rang solid, but never sunk down in all those years( yard, not a field so no rise and fall from tillage).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts