The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S&H Green Stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22.. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Washtub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

I got 25. I am older than dirt but those memories are some of my best.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Kind of hard to forget the drive-in a mile away from me.

·
Registered
39,274 Posts
24 for me. Anybody remember trading baseball cards with your friends and you’d shuffle through the deck and your buddy would say, “got ‘em or need ‘em? I hacked up some valuable cards, only they weren’t valuable at the time and who knew they would be?

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Black Jack gum....chew it, the first 30 seconds it tastes like licorice. There on out, totally tasteless. It did turn your mouth black, tho. Good enough reason for a six year old kid! :smile_big:

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
24 for me. Anybody remember trading baseball cards with your friends and you’d shuffle through the deck and your buddy would say, “got ‘em or need ‘em? I hacked up some valuable cards, only they weren’t valuable at the time and who knew they would be?
A fair share of my cards ended up attached to the spokes of my bike with a clothes pin.....:smile_big:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I remember them all well. Once in a blue moon I'll come across some Black Jack gum yet! My Dad drove a Studebaker and Mom had a Maytag wringer washer and collected green stamps. How about the old black and white tube TVs with a small round screen, if you turned the outside antenna just right you might get 3 channels.
I still use a outside antenna, going on 4 yrs now. On a good day I get 40 channels

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
18.... Funny thing is I'm really not THAT old... (or so I keep telling myself...)
It's just that my parents/grandparents were quite frugal, sometimes simple, and hung on to several of the items like metal ice cube trays with the levers until they fell apart..
Summering in some small towns also helped...

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
..I remember 16..I'm not 50 yet though....I remember the milk man pulling up in the funny looking truck and putting the bottles in the hatch door by the kitchen when we lived in the city...when we moved to the country ..he just set the bottles on the porch..

Funny story...What I remember most is when they changed to cardboard and plastic containers. We had an awesome German Shepherd that was like right out of a K9 COPS episode..except he never barked until a stranger made a wrong move or my dad commanded. .well,, the milkman went to set these "new" gallon jugs IN the FRONT door. Well when that guy opened the door the dog went into protection mode and the only thing that saved him was the hood of the truck...and the 2 milk jugs he used as a buffer.
After that..he then honked the horn..waited for someone..then set jugs out door for us to get LOL....that was the first time I heard a grown man scream like a lady....

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
...How about the old black and white tube TVs with a small round screen, if you turned the outside antenna just right you might get 3 channels.

How about the transparent plastic layover that you could buy to put across the screen? It was supposed to make it a "color" TV. It was green at the bottom (for grass), clear in the center, and blue at the top (for sky). :grin2:

·
Registered
8,630 Posts

I certainly remember trading cards but I didn't collect them, I collected shot shell hulls.

·
Registered
39,274 Posts
How about the transparent plastic layover that you could buy to put across the screen? It was supposed to make it a "color" TV. It was green at the bottom (for grass), clear in the center, and blue at the top (for sky). :grin2:

The only time I ever saw one of those was on an episode of Happy Days.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts