The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a late 90's era Simplicity garden tractor for a great price. Came with a dozer blade, 48" deck, and wheel weights, and it's in good shape and runs like a champ.

Drove it on the trailer fine.

Got home, it was dark, figured I'd be safe and bypass the trans and roll it off. No problems there.

Then the bypass valves stuck in the down position (bypass position), and won't come back up. Been soaking them with PB Blaster and tapping the area with a wood block to see if they'll spring free, but no go.

All was good before I bypassed the trans, so I think this is just a matter of popping these valves free.

Anyone experienced with this stuff, OR....know a good place to take such a stubborn tractor in the Hamburg/Berks area, or relatively nearby?

Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Try starting it up Your local simplicity dealer can usually help they usually have one old school guy on board. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Some good tractor forums out there sure they can help. Might even be a YouTube on how to fix it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm not really sure what you are asking?

If it was me, I would have tried to rock the tractor back and forth while trying to engage the dump valve. More than likely there is a notch somewhere that needs to align before it will release and engage, and you haven't found that notch yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, should have updated this.

I took it to the local shop who got the valves unstuck. It was the bypass valves. I put it in bypass to roll it off the trailer, which was fine. Then when I raised the bracket, the valves stuck "down", which kept it in bypass.

The local shop got them back up for me in no time. Wasn't much of a bill, and it's working like a champ now.

That thing is a beast of a tractor....holy smokes. It came with a dozer blade, so I may have some fun with that to push small weeds/brush clear in some spots I've been avoiding, and hoping it'll do as well as the youtube vids of similar tractors plowing snow. That'd be a huge help for me.

I got wheel weights for it, and a buddy who can weld who can build me a hitch rack for weight, too. I've thought about loading the tires, but I'm not going to take that on just yet. Have to look for chains for it.

Now to keep my eyes open for a tiller for the 3-pt hitch. That will be very useful come spring....

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Chains and fill tires with wiper fluid., my craftsman will push a lot of snow.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tater, do you wax the blade on your plow, or do anything specific to keep wet snow from sticking?

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I will spray or wipe with oil but it hasn't really been a issue. I filled rear tires with 7 gallons of wiper fluid each. You can get the tool to do it at tractor supply. It's like 10 bucks. I also have the weights and chains. It will push some snow.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've read on GTTalk about loading the tires. I have wheel weights for my tractor that I have to install, but I should look into loading them and weighting the hitch. My tractor actually has a 3pt hitch on it, so I may ask my buddy who welds to make me something for the back that I could use to load up patio pavers to weight the back even more. From what I've read, you can't really weight the back too much for pushing snow.

I like seeing how well that is working for you! I have a 200'+ long driveway (moved a year ago), and shoveling it stinks. I'm hoping this will be a decent way to clear it off.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Filling the tires I feel puts the weight right where the tire hits the rd so to speak. I think I s the way to go rather than a hitch weight system.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
wheel weights and chains are all we used, 2 wheel Simplicity walk behind...when the snow was higher than the top of the plow, just push down on the handles and skim the top...

Transferred that plow to the 4 wheel tractor and moved the weights and chains...never got stuck

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to know!

Hoping this makes snow removal a bit less of a chore. 200'+ of driveway to clear, shoveling is no fun. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts