The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont thinks its fair that senior citizens have to follow antler restrictions. My Grandfather killed a buck every year intill the restrictions came about. He sees countless bucks every year and just dont shoot because he has a hard time seeing pts as he is a lawful man and dont want to make a mistake. He does no believe in doe hunting cause of the way he was raised. Its sad seeing this and I know hes not the only 1. He also says it doesnt bother him he just likes to be out but it bothers me! Im saying let the seniors shoot any buck as they are the ones who made this possible for us and kept the tradition and conservation alive. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
I think AR's should be across the board for everyone, regardless of age.

And, I also think if you can't see well enough to count points, maybe its time to rethink hunting. Safety first is the alarm bell in my head when someone says they can't see well enough to count points.

Sorry if I offend anyone with that- but its how I feel.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope that my eye sight stays as sharp as it is now. Some day I might be in the same boat and never be able to harvest a buck again. I just cant imagine. Wounder how many will admit they cant count pts?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
the old timers not believing in shooting doe is much of what led to the overpopulation problems that caused the need for HR/AR in the first place.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Pass,

I suspect that some day, I won't be able to see well enough to count points. My time will be up, and I'll still enjoy hearing the stories of others and encourrage people to hunt.

Just like driving a car- I hope to never have to turn over the keys, but if I start driving that poorly, better to turn the keys over than to harm someone.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
guess i'll add my view on this, i am a senior graybeard and i don't want any special treatment 'THE SAME FOR ALL' thats just how i feel. i may not be able to push as hard for grouse like i did but i can still hold my own against anybody with a rifle, scoped or open sights.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gal, I understand what ur saying. It just makes me sad that it has to be this way. Not just for him but for others that may never get the chance again. That made this for u me and everyone else. He has no prob seeing anything else its just the pts that tend to run together. I mean hes not blind beyond saftey. I understand ur point also.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Thanks Pass and Diyablo!

I understand what your saying Pass. But I think when we get there, we kind of are OK with it. We'll have had our time, and just being out there, or even sitting in camp waiting for everyone to get back will be the best part.

And it will really be a good part.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea Gal thats about what he does now.I dont think it much matters to him now as he has killed so many.I think he throws the orange on and takes the gun just to enjoy the day.Thanks Gal I feel better about it after what u said. Its not tough for him to let go. I think its just tough for me. lol

·
Registered
21,381 Posts

I take the gun for a walk quite a bit any more. It doesn't matter if I harvest, it's helping others get their harvest that counts now.

I still get my time, it's just more important to pass it on than to pull the trigger myself.

Maybe its that maternal side, lol

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Maternal? with the recent birthday, perhaps it is geriatric.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
39 again?

In my opinion if counting points is a problem, then you shouldn't even be hunting.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts