The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any info on these shells. I'm guessing they are pretty old but have no idea and there wasn't any info on the boxes as to when they may have been manufactured.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't own them, they belong to a friend. He got them from his father in law. When he showed them to me I told him I would find out what I can about them. If he is considering selling them I will let you know. I'd imagine he'd want to know a little more about them before he'd sell.

Maybe we should take em to Pawn Stars........Hmmmm

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Some vendors have old paper hulled shells at gun shows. I dont know the price range or the values

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess I should add that we weren't thinking or expecting that these things were worth a fortune. We were more or less curious as to how old they were for the "neat" factor. You can tell the box's are old, they just look cool.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Timber that's a good link. I hadn't googled them or anything yet since I know I can gain all the info I need right here at HPA.
I was thinking they were probably from the 50's but wasn't sure. I will do a little more research on them. If anyone else knows something please share, appreciate the reply's.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a full box similar to the one on the right. The bottom of the box is a little different. It does not read "New Peters Crimp". The artwork and everything else the same. It has a hand written date on the bottom of the box... October 26, 1944.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You have to be careful, just because they look old doesn't mean they are, ammo makers came out with retro boxes every once in a while copying the old paper shell boxes.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
I once shot up an entire box of old Peters 20ga paper-hulled shells at our club, on the trap range. One of the regular shooters that collects old shells, spotted the empties in the grass and almost had him a heart attack.

Did make him a tad easier, when I gave him the pristine box they'd been in for about 45 years.

One of the other guys told him it was his fault that I'd "wasted" them old Peters shells.

He's the one that wanted me to bring a shotgun back and shoot with them, when I'd been working on the rifle ranges and had to run home to get something.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
The box saying new plastic should be from early 60's if this old memory is correct. I have a box of 16 ga rifle slugs from Rem that are marked new plastic.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John S said:
You have to be careful, just because they look old doesn't mean they are, ammo makers came out with retro boxes every once in a while copying the old paper shell boxes.
I'm fairly sure these are originals. I guess they were tucked away in a garage my friends fil uses to store old radio's (he collects antique radio's and other stuff).

Would those retro box's have actual paper shells in them also or was just the box copied? Just curious...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts