The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking Monday off of work and spending the day hunting squirrels. I think I may take out my JC Higgins Model 583 that used to belong to my grandfather. I am excited to get the bolt action 12 gauge out in the woods. It has probably been 15 years since it has seen any action.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good Luck! After some morning grouse/woodcock this coming Saturday(26th) I'm taking my 4 year old out for squirrel. He's so excited.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
After I get finished with this early deer season,I plan on taking out my fowler and origional smokepole doubles.Nothing like hunting with a gun from the mid 1800's.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
410-er said:
After I get finished with this early deer season,I plan on taking out my fowler and origional smokepole doubles.Nothing like hunting with a gun from the mid 1800's.
you bet! i'am using my original Remington 36 cal target rifle. I can date the barrel from 1816 to 1839, but when the gun was actually built, I don't know. I can see getting addicted to it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I would love to get one. Saw a Davey Crocket. Think it was a .32. I was told you can shoot every shot in a 50 cent piece at 50 yards. I can belive it the Lyman GPR 50 can cut conicals at 50 yards.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to bring home 3 grays and 1 fox squirrel today. The JC Higgins performed very well, once I started aiming it well at least. For a gun without an adjustable choke, that gun holds an amazing pattern. Unfortunately that means I will be picking BBs out of the meat. I think I need to get some 4 shot instead of the 6 shot that I used today.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Squirrels are tough.Those #4's should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Had the dog out a little and used federal 4 shot game loads in my 20. Squirrels were all way up in the trees and it took me a lot of shots to get them down. Going out today for squirrel in the morning at least hope my father in law brings his .22 if not I might carry the mag.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I went out saturday and had a great time saw a few and got to shoot at some.They were definatly chasing each other.I didn't have the best shot opprutunities usually 40 yards with them running up and around trees.But I'll try next time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts