The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sent these in a group of old photos, thought they'd be of interest to hunters.

"They were found by a Metis near Baptiste Lake in 1910 and were reared by bottle and
broken to drive by Mr. Day at Athabasca Landing during the winter of 1910. Mr. Day and the moose team hauled mail and supplies.
"

"Deer Hunter Living In A Log , 1893. Tough guys live in tough places, I guess. Home is where you make it!
"

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Two things interest me about that second pic.

First, the size of that log. I dare anyone to find a log that you could climb into and sleep in. Second, the gun propped up on the log... Lever action 12ga or 45-70? Pretty beefy for a standard 30-30.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I ran across this tree a few years ago in Greene county. There is another one just as big or bigger not far from this one that I found last year.
These trees have limbs that are as big as full sized trees coming off of them! Is this a Chestnut Oak?
Just as reference I'm 5'11'' and 225 lbs.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Luv em.Please keep em comin.The log looks like it was carved out and maybe burned not rotted with the bark on.He also hangs his deer the correct way
.The gent with the Turkey sure got a scow on his kisser.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
TRAPJAW said:
Two things interest me about that second pic.

First, the size of that log. I dare anyone to find a log that you could climb into and sleep in. Second, the gun propped up on the log... Lever action 12ga or 45-70? Pretty beefy for a standard 30-30.
Looks Like a Winchester mod 1886 shotgun probably 10 or 12 ga.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Used to date a girl that had a picture of her grandfather and his brother when they very young men. They are posing with a large bull elk they had harvested, one man had a Remington 81 and the other had a broom handle Mauser. I believe the picture was taken in NM I always thought it was cool, she had it in a frame above her fire place.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts