The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a pre-1970 Mossberg 500C (20 gauge) with a malfunctioning safety. Squeezing the trigger causes the safety to disengage. I've had the gun fully stripped a number of times, and there is nothing obvious wrong with the safety button (it's the old metal kind), detent, safety block, upper trigger (where the trigger engages the safety block), or anything else I can find. I've noticed that the online tutorials about the 500 show a "plate" that holds the detent in place. Those must be newer models, because this one seems to be pressed directly into the receiver. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
about 20 years ago I had a problem like yours I got in touch with Mossberg an they sent me a new safety set up

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I had a Mossberg 500C 20 gauge but sold it several years back. There was something wrong with the safety on that gun too, but not sure what. Sorry not much help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A friend of mine had one of those fire and the safety was still in the on position. I would be very weary especially for a youngster.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this is a 40+ year old gun, and I think it's more on me to make sure it's safe for my son to use than it should be Mossberg's responsibility to make sure it still works after 40 years. That said, Mossberg will do just that:

<span style="color: #000099">Subject: RE: old (I think pre-1970) 500C safety problem
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:48:08 +0000
To: XXXXXXXXXXXX

Good Morning;
Thank you for your inquiry. You may send us your stock and receiver and we will repair the safety for you, free of charge. Safety repairs and safety checks are always done free of charge, regardless of how old your Mossberg 500 shotgun is. Please send your stock/receiver to the below address with a letter including your name, phone number, physical address, and description of problems. You may call the repair center at 800-363-3555 for further questions.

ATT MOSSBERG PRODUCT SERVICE
1001 INDUSTRIAL BLVD.
EAGLE PASS, TX. 78852</span>

These guys are a class act.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts