The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dad bought a old h&r at a auction years ago, and I can't find much info on it.it is marked ".44 cal" on the barrel,ser # anxxxx no model # , but has a pat # of 1951. any where/one got any more info on this break action single shot?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
It was made in the early 1900's.

If you look, it's most likely a smoothbore. It takes shotshells based on .44 WCF (.44-40 Win) brass.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any model # info? it is a smoothbore,dad said he got a couple of boxes of .410 2 1/2 shells with it.i didn't think they should be shot in it.i think he said he paid 75.00 for it!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
model 1905 found it!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have an interest in those type of guns.Commonly reffered to as Garden guns for obvious reasons. Don't under estimate the power of these though. 44cal. are smoothbore shotguns that use a 44/40 case, though elongated or with a wooden capsuleto hold more shot. The round was also loaded for "round ball" and some guns were marked "Not for Ball" if they had a "choked" barrel. The 44 gamegetter cartrige are interchangable. Some where bored and marked 44/410 which would utilize a 2 inch 410 shell or 44 cal. Some people just jammed them in anything. I make my own loads to shoot #9 shot. Heck of a lot of fun shooting carpenter bees. My best score at skeet is 13/25. Mostly incoming and crossing shots. It doesn't have the velocity for out going targets. Luckily we live to far apart or I would hound you too sell it.lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts