The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done any kind of detecting or anything in my life, but started paying attention to this forum once it was added. Where I hunt, there once was a golf course, so there is a lot of area to cover. I was thinking of looking into getting a detector and messing around out there. Like I said, the area is pretty massive, and there are areas where you can see that are elevated that used to be tee boxes. I imagine that would be as good a place as any to give it a go. Do you experienced treasure hunters think this would be a good place to start? Thanks.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
sounds like a great place if it has age.

tee boxes, greens and near where the clubhouse stood would be my suggestions. Tee boxes and greens would be areas where a golfer reached into a pocket to get a tee, ball marker, divot tool etc.......therefore increasing the odds of dropping something of value

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just talked to the landowner and it was a 9 hole golf course that opened up in the mid 30's and closed in 1974. He knows where all of the tee boxes and greens were located, so could be a pretty interesting place to search. He said there were between 18,000 and 20,000 golfers there per year during the busiest years of operation. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha..yeah i'm pretty excited to mess around out there. With that much foot traffic, there has to be some stuff lurking out there ready to be found.

·
Registered
263 Posts
boli said:
haha..yeah i'm pretty excited to mess around out there. With that much foot traffic, there has to be some stuff lurking out there ready to be found.
You’ll be wasting your time as I doubt you will even find a single Lincoln. In fact, give me the location and I’ll hit it for about 8 hours this weekend and prove there’s nothing there.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Longie said:
boli said:
You’ll be wasting your time as I doubt you will even find a single Lincoln. In fact, give me the location and I’ll hit it for about 8 hours this weekend and prove there’s nothing there.
Haha, I will let you guys know when I get out. Probably wont be until spring. The field hasn't been cut for a little while and would be fighting the weeds the whole time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts