The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your flint is not working for you anymore what do you do with them? I have placing them in a sandwhich bag and I have quite a collection.
Are they truly trashed or can they be knapped? Is it worth the time in trying to knap them? It seems like I only get 10 shots from a flint before I need to change.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
If you only get 10 shots you have a flint quality or lock frizzen problem. Or they are just setup wrong from the get go.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I take them and put them in cars and my hunting and fishing stuff just in case I break down or get lost and need a fire.I have also given some to boy scouts.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
only 10 shots i usually get around 60-70 shots out of mine sounds like you have something wrong or just setting up your flints wrong

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I tried knapping them and gave it up. Frankly I would rather do something else, laundry comes to mind, than spend time reknapping a chewed up flint. I have tried to make it a practice of leaving my spent flints on the shooting benches of my gun club in hopes that someone will find them and have a use for them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BlackBruin said:
If you only get 10 shots you have a flint quality or lock frizzen problem. Or they are just setup wrong from the get go.
I usually have the gun tuned up every couple of years by NE Trade Co in Muncy. I am shooting an original TC Hawken from the 70's in which I am learning that their frizzens are not the best according to some posts that I have read. How do I tell if I have an original frizzen or if has been replaced?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Usually get 60-80 shots/flint.Old ones get used at the range until nothing left.Do a reverse knap at the range will usually get about 10-15 more shots then its tossed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ohh... I did see guys bringing them to the check station years ago and thought it was wrong. Back to the flints I like the idea of leaving them on the bench.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Tell John your problem, he will rectify it. Did he carbarize your frizzen? They are pretty much spot on at that place, that's where I go.

·
Registered
16,493 Posts
I take them and put them in cars and my hunting and fishing stuff just in case I break down or get lost and need a fire.
If you're kidding, then good one, you got me.
If not, then.....

Coupla Bic brand lighters should handle any emergency fire starting duties right fine.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you`re only getting 10 shots, you must have a problem. I use one of those files with the diamonds on them. Does a good job re-shaping flints. Only cost 10-15 dollars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BlackBruin said:
Tell John your problem, he will rectify it. Did he carbarize your frizzen? They are pretty much spot on at that place, that's where I go.
I hate looking dum, but what is carbarize?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts