The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to cancel the southern Ohio trip because of the weather on Thursday and Friday and hunt Pa. opener. Never heard a gobble on the roost and found a spot were I knew turkeys like to travel. I was just sitting clucking and yelping sparingly on one of my slates Andy from A&J calls had made for me when I heard a goggle a long way off. I just sat tight because I liked the spot and I needed a close shoot because I was using my sons old youth model Mossberg 20. Didn't take this bird ten minutes and he closed the gap for a nice 15 yard shot, actually blew a lot of his beard off. Nice heavy bird with 1 3/16 spurs and a thick 10 inch beard and a thin 8 inch beard. I decided shooting the 20 gauge using the therma-seat pad on my right shoulder was my best option this morning and it worked great, still painful after the shot but I'm sure the wife has probably hit me harder at some point in the last forty years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Way to go Bone,Congrats..That`s a nice one for sure......

Reactions: Pa.Bone

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice one! Looks like it’s starting to get green there.
Things are really green here and a lot of the underbrush and briars are out in leaves. Pretty thick in places. I made the mistake of fertilizing my front yard something I usually never do and my grass is eating me up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts