The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted my new scope and shot this evening. First shot goes about 6" high and 3" left so I began adjusting. After a lot of adjustments I am still not at dead center. My group is half dollar size but still about 3" high and 1" left. Problem is I have maxed out the up/down adjustment. What do I do now? Did I do something wrong in mounting it?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
check your mounts again to make sure they are level. had it happen to my dad. he put a scope on my 30/30 after a box of shells , he checked it ,fixed it right . after some adjusting on the scope it zeroed right in. good luck

·
Registered
447 Posts
Like others said, I would check to make sure the scope is level and mounted corrected. I ran out of elevation on my Leupold scope that I put on my crossbow this summer. I ended up getting a set of Burris Zee Rings with the plastic MOA inserts. They helped take care of the problem. The different plastic inserts are used and can be rotated inside the rings to essentially safely shim the scope for additional elevation and or windage. I also shimmed my scope rail since the crossbow manufacture had that option available as well but the Burris rings were definitely a help. They may be an option in your case as well.

·
Registered
175 Posts
You need to raise the front of your scope.
This lowers your bow.
The Burris rings can do this.
The Burris rings are signature zee rings.

If you can provide some info, what bow, what scope, speed it's shooting, is a hha used? How many moa are available in the scope.
Is it a single crosshair? Multi point?
Sounds like you need at least 20 moa, may be as much as 50 moa.

I have 3 of my xbows setup this way. It can be done.

·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took apt of advice here. I took everything off (scope and rail) bad checked all for level. The front of the rail needed shimmed up and it leveled the scope. I haven't shot yet but hopefully that fixed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
One piece of additional advice: I have owned several xbows and sometimes I had a real hard timing getting good groups. Other people would say they had 2 inch groups at some distance and I would be at 4 inch. Ultimately, I figured out I was canting my bow. I was surprised how much of an effect that had. So, now I do the following:

When putting the scope on:

1. Put the bow in a gun vice or rest and place a level across the limbs. Make sure it is level.
2. Put the base and the bottom of the rings on and sit scope in the bottom rings.
3. Take off the cover of the elevation adjustment and put a small bubble level on it.
4. Make sure both levels (on the limb and on the scope) are leveled. Then, screw in the rings. Careful, you may need to re-adjust as you crank down the screws.

Now I know the scope is perfectly level.

When I'm sighting in, I put the gun in a field pod or other rest. I keep the elevation adjustment top off and I put the bubble level on the scope. I make sure for each shot, I have checked the bubble level. That has made a big difference and made sighting in easier.

In the field, I don't have a level to use (although they make some, I can't get one that fits on my scope), but at least I know I'm sighted in correctly and its just up to me to keep it as close to level as possible.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I took apt of advice here. I took everything off (scope and rail) bad checked all for level. The front of the rail needed shimmed up and it leveled the scope. I haven't shot yet but hopefully that fixed it.
I had a similar experience with a name brand rifle. Could never get the scope to zero. Gunsmith fixed it with rings that are adjustable left and right. Turned out the rail was installed ever so slightly askew.

·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to shim up the front of the rail with a thin piece of metal to level everything up. Got it level and sighted in and she is shooting nice. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts