The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Great job by Penn State. Yes, they were 7-6. Pretty good record considering they only had 41 scholarship players on their roster while all their opponents had at least 70-75.

WE ARE

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Awesome game...kids played their hearts out!!!!

·
Registered
19,611 Posts

Lets see if Franklin can work his recruiting magic now that he has scholarships to bargain with.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Washpa Randy said:
Great job by Penn State. Yes, they were 7-6. Pretty good record considering they only had 41 scholarship players on their roster while all their opponents had at least 70-75.

WE ARE
2nd youngest team in FBS.

Had 41 (or so) Freshman/Redshirt Freshman and about 8 Seniors on this year's team.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FightOnState.com retweeted
PlaybookMark @PlaybookMark · 6h 6 hours ago

DID YOU KNOW #PennState has had 10 consecutive winning seasons, something Bama, ND, OSU, Mich, Texas, Aub, UF and TAMU can't say?

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
bearhollow said:
FightOnState.com retweeted
PlaybookMark @PlaybookMark · 6h 6 hours ago

DID YOU KNOW #PennState has had 10 consecutive winning seasons, something Bama, ND, OSU, Mich, Texas, Aub, UF and TAMU can't say?
Tweet this...DID YOU KNOW #Alabama has more National Championships in the last 4 years than PSU has in it's entire history?

Like George Schroeder stated in the USA Today..."Under Nick Saban Alabama has become the standard by which college football measures itself".

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
hi_tech_redneck said:
Like George Schroeder stated in the USA Today..."Under Nick Saban Alabama has become the standard by which college football measures itself".
I guess if player graduation rates don't mean anything, George's (whoever he is) subjective opinion may be right.

OSU and UA grad rates make this a good matchup. Both only graduate about 75% of their players.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
A graduation rate of 75% is way above what can be expected from the general population of students going for a four-year degree.

Considering the impact of early entries into the NFL draft from Ohio State and Alabama, 75% is really, really good.

Shows that truly elite programs have their acts together. All athletic programs will have issues with these young people misbehaving on occasion, don't kid yourself, but Nick Saban's and Urban Meyer's records speak for themselves.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
DethFrumAbuv said:
A graduation rate of 75% is way above what can be expected from the general population of students going for a four-year degree.

Considering the impact of early entries into the NFL draft from Ohio State and Alabama, 75% is really, really good.

Shows that truly elite programs have their acts together. All athletic programs will have issues with these young people misbehaving on occasion, don't kid yourself, but Nick Saban's and Urban Meyer's records speak for themselves.
First of all. No one in the B1G is elite on the football field. OSU without the help of officials wouldn't be sniffing the final four. They will get smoked by Alabama as they always do when they play someone in the SEC.

Second. Alabama may have good grad rates by SEC standards but that's not saying much. The NCAA system of grading grad rates takes into account early entry into the pros. With that OSU comes in 5th (6th if you count Rugers this year) in the B1G regarding grad rates as calculated by the NCAA. Alabama came in 2nd in the SEC.

Roll Tide!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
SEC is over-rated this year. ACC put the smack-down on them last weekend of the season. OSU and Urban Meyer (who knows the SEC) will get their chance. I think Alabama is the best overall team, but Oregon has the best player and if they're on their game look out. At least this year they will have to play the games.

Grad rates for students overall, not just athletes, don't approach 75%. If that is what some of those schools are doing playing big-time football, that is remarkable.

Having three daughters who went into small college, non-revenue sports, I know first-hand the time commitment it takes to excel in sports and the classroom, and I saw the attrition, both kids leaving the sport, or leaving the school all together.

Quite often young people need time to figure it all out, so they enroll and then leave a school, it affects their graduation stats, but in the end they wind up somewhere else and do just fine.

My wife is a Penn Stater, girl in their dorm dated a football player back in the hey-day. He had lost a copy of his schedule and others found it in the hall. It was the sterotypical "basket weaving" kind of classes. So it goes on everywhere, SEC, Big-Whatever-Number, ACC, PAC-Whatever-Number.

You want to see real student athletes? Watch non-revenue sports or D-III.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
17,319 Posts
KingRon said:
When you receive a scholarship from a Big Ten school it is for the full 4 years. This is the policy of the Big Ten Schools. In the SEC there are no guarantees. If someone comes along who they think is better at your position, they will boot you out the door, with no remorse. The SEC schools are notorious for this practice!

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/spo...ny_reason_.html

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/10/college_athletes_rights_some_a.html
True...but with that said, one would think kids would rather play for the Big Ten schools than the perennial winners, and we all know that is not the case.

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
boondocker said:
Always the sarcastic one aren't you?
Nothing against Penn State in particular, I just find it ridiculous that any 6-6 team goes to a bowl game. I guess I just have to get my head around the idea that 99.8% of bowl games are meaningless.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Meaningless to you. Priceless to the kids playing in the games. One more chance to play the game they love. One more chance to wear their schools colors. And, 15 additional practices to get a head start on the next season. Yep, 6-6 team is bowl eligible. Can not make a bowl with a losing record. Unlike the National Felon League were you can make the playoffs with a losing record. Lol.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm a Penn State fan but not a fan of Franklin for all of you that are mocking other schools graduation rate if Franklin is still at PSU in 5 years when the players he has control of offering scholarships should graduate we will then see what his graduation percentage is but I will bet it will be at least 10% less then it is now

1 - 20 of 32 Posts