The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you skin, flesh, then dry/stretch your fur(about 24 hrs depending). I got that part. Now say you go to sell or drop off for the auction do you leave hide side out or fur side out?

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
bobcat,fox and yote fur out. coons, rats, grinners, skunk fur in.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
With fox and yote that you sell fur out you need to get em flipped fur out before they are too dry...there is a fine line there...once too dry skin out, they usually need rehydrated to flip or they may rip or its just impossible....i got a few yotes that i couldnt turn...but they are going to the tannery anyways so it doesnt matter...

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
mauser06 said:
With fox and yote that you sell fur out you need to get em flipped fur out before they are too dry...there is a fine line there...once too dry skin out, they usually need rehydrated to flip or they may rip or its just impossible....i got a few yotes that i couldnt turn...but they are going to the tannery anyways so it doesnt matter...
Skin, flesh, rub the entire pelt with a helping of borax, and immediately board fur out.
Skip the Flip and you'll never go back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Skin, flesh, rub the entire pelt with a helping of borax, and immediately board fur out.
Skip the Flip and you'll never go back.[/QUOTE]

so you never put em up fur in? just straight to fur out?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Just as it says, straight fur out and skip the flip. I've done it with cats (this idea originated with western cat trappers), red fox, gray fox, and coyotes.
Last year I averaged $56 on reds, $40 on grays, and $25 on coyotes and I never put a single pelt on a stretcher inside out.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
hillsgrove sale. i was there too and can vouch for his numbers. very nice batch of fur.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Yessir, alot of smiling faces walking out the door at that sale.
I just wish I was that guy with the cart full of beaver and muskrats.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
no just the musskrats! that many beavers are alot more work than the fox and rats. lol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
Yessir, alot of smiling faces walking out the door at that sale.
I just wish I was that guy with the cart full of beaver and muskrats.
Yea,that guy pulled over $3,000,but he had a nice sack of castor too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts