The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house and this is the 2nd winter (1st full winter) that we have been living there. The house is heated with oil/forced air and I've notice that an oil smell is present when the fan kicks on. Now, there are 3 registers on the 1st floor, 1 in the basement and 3 more upstairs and the smell seems to be present primarily only on the 1 register on the 1st floor. I have a C02 alarm and it has never gone off, but last night the smell was bad for a good 10 seconds after the fan kicked on, so much that I lit a scented candle to lessen the smell.
Could this be caused by the heat exchange, and why is the smell primarily coming out of the 1 register?

·
Registered
205 Posts
About a year ago, we started to smell a lighter fluid-like smell when the furnace would start up. I went into the basement and it was stronger down there when the furnace was running. It turned out to be a cracked heat exchanger. We have an oil-fired forced air furnace like you. We replaced the whole furnace.

·
Super Moderator
7,999 Posts
Does it happen EVERY time?

We get a little smell when we have just had oil delivered, but that's gone soon and then nothing.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
G2,Do`nt let it go to long. About 8 years ago we had what is called a puffback.We were comming home New Years Eve and walking down the walkway we could smell oil and the smoke detecters were going off,the house was filled with smoke. There was a partial blockage in our chimmny.What a mess, We had to have a cleaning service come in and clean everything in the house and I mean everything.We had to repaint ceilings,walls. The trim cleaned up.So get it checked right away.

·
Registered
25,730 Posts
Have it checked ASAP by a competent burner mechanic.

Cracked exchanger; Partially clogged chimney; Burning too "rich", all possibilities, none good. They need cleaned/checked every fall.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
sounds like you may need a new nozzle. have a furnace guy come out and give it a check.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: $206.10 later. Burner Tune-up, Labor, New Nozzle, Gear tooth fitter, Pump Strainer, Burner Head, Clean out Plug (One was missing and the other wasnt installed correctly) and a couple of flare nuts that were missing.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
G2CDeer said:
UPDATE: $206.10 later. Burner Tune-up, Labor, New Nozzle, Gear tooth fitter, Pump Strainer, Burner Head, Clean out Plug (One was missing and the other wasnt installed correctly) and a couple of flare nuts that were missing.
The last item missing would have had oil spewing all over as flare nuts usually connect the fuel line to the filter and the nozzle. What the heck was holding them on?

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep the smell is gone, furnance has been running all day and I havent smelled a thing.
I dont know how the thing was running with so much missing but I know the repair man wasnt making anything up because I was watching him the whole time. Twice I heard him say, "Ive worked on a lot of furnances and I have never seen this".

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
2 bills well spent. i have a guy come in every september to give mine a once over. costs me around $75 and he replaces the filter, nozzle, and whatever else it needs and checks it all out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
pumpgun, im like you. i have a furnace man come in every fall and get the furnace checked over. he checks everything and replaces the nozzle. better safe then sorry. the guy that does my furnace has been doing it for over 20 years and only charges about $70.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
I serve as my own furnace guy. I am trained for that though. How on earth could flare nuts be missing? That's like having the tires missing on your car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts