The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, when I was in highschool, some friends and I went to Ohiopyle for the day. We started out biking on a trail for 9miles and then rafting down the river. I remember it being a lot of fun and a great way to enjoy the outdoors but I cant remember what part of Ohiopyle we went to in order to do this activity. I cant find anything online about this so I was wondering if anyone had any input, such as pricing and where exactly I would need to go to rent bikes and raft. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
You started out biking on the Yough trail in a town called Confluence. They indeed rent bikes/canes//rafts there etc... I thought Ohiopyle was more like 12 miles down, but I could be wrong. Ohiopyle (below the falls) is the main attraction for rafters. Plenty of attractions that cater to tourists in both Confluence and Ohiopyle.

Google "Confluence attractions" or Chamber of Commerce, something like that, if you want to start out biking in Confluence.

Also, there is a very nice house in Confluence called "Dam Yough House" that rents. Rustic type of restoerd home. Not sure of your funds, as it's a hair pricey in my book, but very nice. Firepit for night sitting, etc...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I heard there was some sort of an accident on the Ohiopyle River over the past couple of days, but I can't find anything on it. Anyone have any information on an accident?

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks UJ. I sent it on to my boys who just kayaked this section a couple weeks ago. I wonder if the kid was wearing a life vest and if his group were going on their own or with a guided group. The individual that is missing is from my neck of the woods. Sad.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
They found the rafter yesterday I believe.

While the rapids may not be considered Class 5, that river runs fairly wild in high water, the worst part is having quite a few areas with hydraulics (pulls and keeps you under). That river takes lives every year. In all reality, those tours take unskilled, novice people down in conditions that probably exceed novice level. Would be an uproar though (affect on tourism) if powers that be tried to change that. Purely my opinion and I have no afiliation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They found the young man on Mon. evening. This is so sad. I was on the river when this happened. I was with my daughter in a shredder and it was her first experience on big whitewater. She had a great time and did really well. The young man that died was her age and I hope this does not keep her from wanting to do more. The young man WAS wearing a pfd(vest), it was reported that the vest had slipped off, and his leg became entangled in a rope after his raft flipped. He was with a commercial trip, that YES takes novices down the river. Although everyone goes through a safety video and instruction before getting on the water. However someone probably does not check all the lifevest of everyone to ensure they are properly fitted. It's a shame because now they will be talking ,again, about altering this section of the river to make it safer.
Michaux Hunter, I have not met your boys yet but have seen there videos. Our paths will cross here soon I am sure. My avatar picture is Ohiopyle Falls which is in some of there videos. Things will always happen out there, it's up to us to look out for each other to elliminate the chances.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks Fleroo and whitewaterhunter. It is sad. If his vest slipped off I wonder if it was actually secured properly. My youngest has been kayaking for only 2 years and has gotten good at it which scares me. He went over the falls last year. He hit it perfect the first time, not so good the second time. If you check the videos he is the one without the beard and he is in the green kayak. They even have stickers that say "Fatty Brown" on their cars and kayaks. The one with the beard is a friend of his. His earlier life he was a rollerblader going down and over ramps, down handrails and out second floor doorways. One good thing now is he uses all his safety gear, which makes me feel a lot better. So my wife and I say a lot of prayers for him when he is on the river. He even has a dry suit and hits the rivers most of the year. My oldest son has really gotten into it in the past year. So if you see them and they are doing something stupid you have my permission to yell at them and tell them I said it was ok. Keep them straight. I did the river back in the 70’s with the boy scouts and it was fun. I’m sure there are a lot more people on the river now so more potential accidents. Be safe on the river.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Added expense aside, is it not feasible to design these PFD's (at least for strong current type recreation) to incorporate two crotch straps, just like the treestand harnesses, to make them less susceptible from pulling over the head in rugged water conditions ? OK, it may be a tad uncomfortable paddling with the crotch straps, but..... maybe design them to be easily unclipped in flat/calm water ?

My brother graduated with a young man wayyyy back. They went to Ohiopyle for a post-grad get together. The boy could not swim, but had the guts to walk out to a boulder above the falls and sit with other kids in the middle of the river. Somehow he slipped and went off the rock. Sadly, that was that. Never did see 18 yrs. old.

They have talked about removing, blowing up, etc... Dimple Rock, as that is where much bad happens. We hear about the deaths, and not the 100's of near misses. I believe cost of that endeavor is what ends up squelching the idea until next time.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They have talked about removing, blowing up, etc... Dimple Rock, as that is where much bad happens. We hear about the deaths, and not the 100's of near misses. I believe cost of that endeavor is what ends up squelching the idea until next time. [/quote]

I talked to my boys about that area. I thought they said if needed you could avoid the bad section if you wanted to.

·
Registered
22,186 Posts
I use an Atral Green Jacket when kayaking whitewater....They are not cheap but a good investment in my book if you are going to kayak a lot in fast water.

It's also good to practice with your safety gear in actual river conditions once in a while. Lot's of people have throw bags with them but quite a few have never experienced the weight of a swimmer and the force of the water on the other end of that rope.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Michaux Hunter said:
They have talked about removing, blowing up, etc... Dimple Rock, as that is where much bad happens. We hear about the deaths, and not the 100's of near misses. I believe cost of that endeavor is what ends up squelching the idea until next time.
I talked to my boys about that area. I thought they said if needed you could avoid the bad section if you wanted to.[/quote]

I believe that is true. I've heard that they made a path so that you can carry your watercraft (portage) around that dangerous rapid if you choose to.

·
Registered
982 Posts
SigPro2340 said:
I use an Atral Green Jacket when kayaking whitewater....They are not cheap but a good investment in my book if you are going to kayak a lot in fast water.

It's also good to practice with your safety gear in actual river conditions once in a while. Lot's of people have throw bags with them but quite a few have never experienced the weight of a swimmer and the force of the water on the other end of that rope.
My boys and his group he kayaks with all have throw bags. I think they have used them, but I will ask them.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have rafted that river many many times and have seen plenty of experienced rafters and kayakers go in at dimple rock. I was talking to one of the guides about two years ago who said that the powers that be were considering blowing up dimple rock to help decrease the number of accidents there. Sad that that thought would even come up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts