The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had plans for youth day but at 1030 Friday night my youth had to cancel she got sick. So then I call a buddy that has a 9 year old son and woke him up to see if they wanted to go.

The hunt, so now we go to the farm ( blind was pre set) set two avian x Jake and lay down hen and wait. 45 min before light they started to the left and right. U can believe me or not we had about 15 different gobbling birds from 70 to 150 yards from us. We we're on a power line and boy did they put on a show.
Fly down we had birds in the timber going nuts and a hen came out just as cocky as can b.5 min later her comes Mr Tom from the back right goes 5 yards from the blind and went straight for the 3/4 strut Jake and was pecking it and just beating it up and that's were the boy leveled it.
Hink we are taking another youth on Sunday to try our luck again

Attachments

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Nice job. The excitement of a turkey hunt seems to get them hooked quick. I know my son was after a hunt when we never saw a bird and had another hunter bust our setup. A few gobbles is all it took.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Beautiful scene! I love seeing kids get theirs and the lifetime memory that comes with that.

Oh, and those Avian-X decoys are simply amazing, especially that 3/4 strut Jake. Every one of my Avian-X Jakes has attracted an angry gobbler the first time a bird laid eyes on it.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Congrats!!!

Our luck wasn't as good. Didn't have any birds close to us on the roost this morning and once they came off they shut up. Heard 1 bird about 930 a few times. This afternoon we heard a couple of birds, but they just gobbled ever 20 minutes or so and never would answer the calls.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Good work. Tell the boy next time he is successful to take off the face mask so his mom can see his smile. Might get dad a few more days afield if she sees how much he enjoys it.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Nice going!...I think the youth opportunities these states give are top notch..Turkey hunting is in my opinion, is the best opportunity to get hooked on hunting...For them to hear gobbling and to see the birds worked in, whether harvested or not, creates a positive lasting impression.

My son shot his first longbeard at 8 years old when PA first gave us the MY program and has been going spring gobbler ever since..he's 21 now

I hope the young lady feels better and is able to get out !!

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Always like Ohio having two days for their youth season, so many times the one day Pa. youth season is rainy and crappy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts