The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

121 - 140 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
but it's looking like I may have wasted $300.

Expensive shed hunting trip.......

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
After today's card pull, I'm nearly certain I have his bedding area pegged. He's in a bad spot that I can't get to, but I can get within 100 yards. Prepping stand sites tomorrow and will start hunting him Friday or Saturday. I hope that's not him that shed or maybe another good buck will show up. I had three smaller bucks on camera last night and they all still had their racks. Can't not hunt after spending the money, and I'm certain I'm in the right spot. Just hoping for the best at this point.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hang tuff!
Heck, I am hunting close to home and it's a killer. But I am seeing a few does, but no racks.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Day 10... first stand set of the year. Going to do 2 hour evening sets from here on out. 0 deer seen. :(
Good Luck, tomorrow and Saturday I'm going back to the bow from the tree stand. I'm thinking about noon till dark supposed to be sunny and 39 not bad for this time of year.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Day 10... first stand set of the year. Going to do 2 hour evening sets from here on out. 0 deer seen. :(
I have been doing 3 hour afternoon sets since gun season closed. Had the buck i have been hunting in bow range on the 14th and 15th of december with no shot and had him coming right to me on the first day of muzzleloader. He just turned around and went back the way he came from, i had perfect wind and no way he could see me. This deer is either the luckiest or smartest deer i have ever hunted. Been fun hunting him but i am getting tired of making the drive every day. Thought about just shooting a smaller deer and being done, but can't give up on him, he's just to nice.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Day 11... 0 deer spotted. I'm going to need a miracle. Even if the buck I'm after is where I think he is (and is still carrying it's rack), I can't legally get any closer to him and I don't see him making it the 100 yards that I need him to cover before dark. Ugh! I'm really hoping against hope that another good buck shows up. Back after them tomorrow.

All of the other buck's that I've captured on camera still seem to be carrying except that 10. The buck I dubbed the 32 buck (I never name bucks) was in the area this morning but I'm not shooting him and he's the best buck I've seen in a while.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Day 12... 5 bucks all in the same group came past just inside of 30 yards during the waning moments of daylight. Two of them were half racks. The one in the picture above was the largest in the group. Taking tomorrow off.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Day 12... 5 bucks all in the same group came past just inside of 30 yards during the waning moments of daylight. Two of them were half racks. The one in the picture above was the largest in the group. Taking tomorrow off.
Well you must be getting them figured out anyway.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Gotta give you credit for being diligent. I hope something turns on while your in there. I need to do a card pull here and see what is going on. My nephew found a solid 120 plus set of sheds yesterday, he had pictures of him on the 5th with both antlers. At least it isn't stormy weather, good luck.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
183 Posts
To be honest I would use this as evidence to go back to camera scouting until further notice. You found the "bachelor group" of which consists of mostly shed bucks and the largest buck is something you have no interest in shooting. I applaud your dedication but I would think if there was one worth shooting odds are he would have been with those feela's or be more regular on camera. At the moment seems like you are playing the lottery odds. Though I can certainly understand the fun in the chase.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Pretty much my exact thoughts, PA Bandit. Kind of hoping against hope that a stranger shows up which most likely isn't going to happen this time of the year. I would move on if I'd have done my pre season home work and had another property or two to hunt. Since it was a spur of the moment decision to purchase the license, I'll just keep doing the 2 hour hunts and consider it cheap mental therepy. LOL!!

·
Registered
14,184 Posts
I have hunted the late season in Ohio a couple times. The last time I didn't have a liscense cus I hadn't hunted there earlier in the year. I had a bait started with a camera on it and around xmas I started seeing a pretty nice buck hitting it so I bought a liscense and started actually hunting. That was before the big liscense increases of the last few years but I figured I'd wait til I was seeing something worth hunting before I spent the $150. Up till the first time I got into that stand I figured I was simply scouting and feeding the deer, so i didn't need a liscense.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
Day 13... 0 deer spotted. :(
Looks like the weather is to turn colder next week. That may help. I think I am going to hunt this Saturday evening in Ohio if my plans hold true.

121 - 140 of 187 Posts