The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

101 - 120 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Good buck were on there feet here pre-dawn despite the snowfall. The power of the brassica compels them. Keep after him Todd, the pieces sound like they are falling into place.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Captured some great deer movement last night but....the 10 point wasn't one of them :( Going to give him one more evening to make another appearance or I'm going to adjust the cameras. Tic, Toc, Tic, Toc.

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
You picked a difficult area to hunt...during some tough times!

I tagged my PA buck fairly early. I drove west about an hour and drove an entire property. On a RAINY Monday in mid October. Nearly every pull off and parking area in the entire property had a truck or 2. I was absolutely blown away but the crazy pressure. Found 1 area with no trucks. I walked a ridge out. Stands, cameras, illegal bait piles. Almost all of the sign was old...like right when the season started..which makes sense. Pressure pushed them out of there.

As far as checking Ohio deer, I used the online function and took a screen shot of my confirmation code so I didnt loose it...I now discovered the app. I will use it in the future. Pretty nice app they have.

I planned to do what you're doing...and try to scout heavy within an hour or so of us...but, I had a blast hunting elsewhere in Ohio and killed my biggest buck to date....I'm hooked. Already planning a turkey/scouting trip. Lol.

Good luck! Looks like you're heading down the right path...

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Question for those that hunt public in Ohio. Are you allowed to cross streams, creeks and/or rivers? Much like PA, it seems that everything's open to interpretation and can be used against those trying to obey the law. I'd hate to put on my hip boots, and wade across a stream, only to find a warden who's having a "bad day" waiting for me on the other side with a citation.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Question for those that hunt public in Ohio. Are you allowed to cross streams, creeks and/or rivers? Much like PA, it seems that everything's open to interpretation and can be used against those trying to obey the law. I'd hate to put on my hip boots, and wade across a stream, only to find a warden who's having a "bad day" waiting for me on the other side with a citation.

View attachment 163674
Now that’d be something if your not allowed to wade across a stream to hunt the other side. I think I’d make a phone call to them to get an exact answer.

·
Registered
14,185 Posts
I'd assume that would be aimed at recreational swimming? Never saw such a sign but it's been a few years since I hunted on public over there.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I'd assume that would be aimed at recreational swimming? Never saw such a sign but it's been a few years since I hunted on public over there.
Yea, but you know what happens when you assume something with any DNR. I try to obey all game laws but it would only take one over zealous deputy to ruin your day. Wading is wading, and like most game laws there's a lot of room for interpretion and not much room for common sense. Who's to say its not interpretted differently from deputy to deputy. What if the first one's Andy and the second one's Barney. I'd hate to end up in lock up with Otis, waiting for Aunt Bee to bring me lunch, beacuse I tracked a deer across a stream. Just saying...

·
Registered
12,319 Posts

View attachment 163674

I found it. One of those deals where the signs don't tell the whole regulation. Lawriter - OAC

(K) It shall be unlawful for any person to swim or wade in any water area under agreement with, owned or controlled by the division of wildlife without written permission from the chief, except persons lawfully engaged in hunting, fishing or trapping.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Put another full day of scouting in. I've lost the 10-point with no more pictures of it or the 32 buck. I've now got 12 cameras out and repositioned everyone of them today except 1. Stumbled upon some other cameras as well. Going to let everything rest a few days and chase some antlerless deer here in PA.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
No people or vehicle tracks today in the parking area where I'm going in, but took a ride around it today and did see some activety in one of the other parking areas.
You may be able to take advantage this Saturday of the pressure from the late muzzleloader season. Maybe get on an escape route from where you know the pressure will be coming from?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I caught the 10 on his feet again last night nearly a half mile from where I got him the last 2 times. He's headed the same direction and after more satelite viewing, I may have an area pegged where he's headed. This morning, I pulled 10 of the 12 cameras that I had out in anticipation of Saturday's muzzle loader season. Once we get on the back side of this full moon and the ML season closes on the 5th, I'll get back after him with the cameras. I think I'm making progress.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Well better "Late" than never....lol.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
I caught the 10 on his feet again last night nearly a half mile from where I got him the last 2 times. He's headed the same direction and after more satelite viewing, I may have an area pegged where he's headed. This morning, I pulled 10 of the 12 cameras that I had out in anticipation of Saturday's muzzle loader season. Once we get on the back side of this full moon and the ML season closes on the 5th, I'll get back after him with the cameras. I think I'm making progress.
I wouldn't be afraid to get back after it Monday. Doubtful you will see any pressure after the weekend.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well I got back to Ohio today to begin the after muzzle loader season adventure. I only had 2 cameras in action the past 5 days, but hung a few more today. Good news.... I captured images of the buck nearly every night and have a very solid idea of where he's holing up. I think I'll have him nailed down by the weekend. Bad news... I think he shed yesterday. I'm not 100% certain this is him but I think it is. It's where I was catching him nearly every night. I blew the pic up to get a better look but still can't tell for certain. I was capturing a small 7-point in this area as well and he's still carrying his rack. I'm going to keep after him until I have him nailed down for certain, but it's looking like I may have wasted $300.

101 - 120 of 187 Posts