The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bit the bullet and bought my Ohio license today, washed up all of my hunting clothes, prepped my stands, put fresh batteries in 8 cameras, and the bowhunting adventure begins again tomorrow. Going to be hunting 5000 acres of public in Trumball County. First week will be dedicated to breaking down the area (and other hunters) then hopefully, I can get settled into some serious bowhunting. I love the challenge of late season bowhunting. The bow season is open until February 7th.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Good luck !!!....I plan on making my coyote hunting rounds there soon.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Good Luck, if I didn't already tag an Ohio buck I would be hunting too. Definitely slower in late season and I usually only hunt from about noon to dark. Still tons of good acorns on the ground and I'm seeing scrapes being hit last week.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Good luck !!!....I plan on making my coyote hunting rounds there soon.
I was just thinking today about trapping some coyotes, just wish it was as easy as just setting traps without all the trap prep work. I hear coyotes around here almost every night and did buy a new caller last year, so maybe I'll get out and hunt them this week.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I was just thinking today about trapping some coyotes, just wish it was as easy as just setting traps without all the trap prep work. I hear coyotes around here almost every night and did buy a new caller last year, so maybe I'll get out and hunt them this week.
Go ahead and set some dirty traps and I'll bet you'll still be successful.
It got to the point with me that I'd just blast the mud off them from the season before, dip them in the wax pot if needed, and go right back to catching canines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As a lifelong resident of N. E. Ohio I am guessing you are planning on hunting Grand River Wildlife area or Shenango Wildlife area. Only two public areas with that many acres in that county. Good luck and be sure and keep us posted. Your a better hunter than I if you do any good. All of the public lands in N. E. Ohio get pounded all season long. The Amish are heavy in this area as well. I have never had any late season success. I will be following this thread to see how you do.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a lifelong resident of N. E. Ohio I am guessing you are planning on hunting Grand River Wildlife area or Shenango Wildlife area. Only two public areas with that many acres in that county. Good luck and be sure and keep us posted. Your a better hunter than I if you do any good. All of the public lands in N. E. Ohio get pounded all season long. The Amish are heavy in this area as well. I have never had any late season success. I will be following this thread to see how you do.
Yeppers, Uncle Mike. Shenango Wilderness Area. I will post my daily hunt finds and results.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I work with lots of people from Ohio and most hunt over bait and they never seem to successful, but late season especially when it's cold and snowy in January they do get bucks that come into their corn piles. I'm assuming they only hunt private land because baiting on public land is illegal in Ohio.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I work with lots of people from Ohio and most hunt over bait and they never seem to successful, but late season especially when it's cold and snowy in January they do get bucks that come into their corn piles. I'm assuming they only hunt private land because baiting on public land is illegal in Ohio.
I never even thought about that, Bone. Since I'm hunting public, I guess it will be a non-issue but maybe it will lighten the hunting pressure some??? What's the most painless way to check your kill? Phone app, phone call, computer or license agent? I'm concerned about my cell service.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Good luck in OH!! Snow depth ought to be manageable in that area for a while yet.

Reactions: TBrom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeppers, Uncle Mike. Shenango Wilderness Area. I will post my daily hunt finds and results.
Shenango can be tough to hunt. Very narrow East to West with the river in the middle running North South. Too deep to cross river so if you walk north or south you have to come back the same way you walked in. I had my best luck on the East side, North of rt 305.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I never even thought about that, Bone. Since I'm hunting public, I guess it will be a non-issue but maybe it will lighten the hunting pressure some??? What's the most painless way to check your kill? Phone app, phone call, computer or license agent? I'm concerned about my cell service.
I've always just called in to get my confirmation number and write the confirmation number on the temporary tag.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
The new phone app is so easy. You don't even have to tag the deer now. You can fill it in even if you don't have phone reception. It will send it once you get in range and give you a confirmation number. I did it with my doe this year and I loved it. Wish PA would go to the same, but I am sure PA hunters would hate it.

Tbrom, In my experience (not on that public land) you will likely have the place to yourself with the exception of the late gun season this coming weekend and the late muzzelloader season which is after the new year. Not many hunt the late season.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Shenango can be tough to hunt. Very narrow East to West with the river in the middle running North South. Too deep to cross river so if you walk north or south you have to come back the same way you walked in. I had my best luck on the East side, North of rt 305.
It does look like a long skinny piece of land, looks like a kayak would help accessing some of it

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
The new phone app is so easy. You don't even have to tag the deer now. You can fill it in even if you don't have phone reception. It will send it once you get in range and give you a confirmation number. I did it with my doe this year and I loved it. Wish PA would go to the same, but I am sure PA hunters would hate it.

Tbrom, In my experience (not on that public land) you will likely have the place to yourself with the exception of the late gun season this coming weekend and the late muzzelloader season which is after the new year. Not many hunt the late season.
Just installed the app on my phone Craig, I didn't know they had an app for tagging deer.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Just installed the app on my phone Craig, I didn't know they had an app for tagging deer.
I just got it a few weeks ago. I think it became available this fall. Really nice too as you don't even have to print your tags or permits. Everything is on your phone. I guess several other states have a similar app from what I have read. I figure PA should have it in about 100 years. LOL.

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Don't know if you did it but if you look at expired, you can see previous years licenses and game check. You can find the information on previous animals checked in.

1 - 20 of 199 Posts