The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a few hours yesterday picking the skull from last Tuesdays Ohio buck clean, boiling it, cleaning it again, and ultimately bleaching it white with a peroxide solution. It turned out wonderful, and really shows off the abnormal antler, and specifically the unusual antler base. I also put a tape to him, and calculated the gross score of both the current antler configuration, and the gross score if he had matching normal antlers. I'll post a harvest photo and some pictures of the finished skull, as well as a link to recovery footage that gives a really great look at him. I was nowhere close on my original guess on the actual gross score, and that abnormal antler makes it very deceiving.

Video

I also wanted to post this picture as well. I find it extremely odd that the buck I just killed in Ohio, has almost the same exact antler configuration on the abnormal antler, as a buck I killed in PA 7 years ago during the archery season. Obviously the Ohio buck is much larger, but they have almost identical abnormal antlers. It makes me wonder if they had the same injury, or if this abnormal configuration is common when injuries are suffered. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re: Ohio Freak Buck Finished! Score guesses anyone?

Love how everybody is all over the board on the scoring

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Haha everyone is certainly all over the board. Only one person has come within 10" so far. I will say that the right antler alone scores 57 4/8". That leaves you to figure out the spread and the score of the deformed antler...

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Alot of very low guesses here...the right antler scores 57 4/8". Even if the spread was only 15", which it isn't, the score is already above 72". Still have to add in the odd antler main beam length, three other points, and four mass measurements...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

LakeLurker has to be the closest here so far. I was going to guess 96 with the right antler scoreing 50, since you said it is 57+ and I forgot a mass measurement on the odd side, I would have also ended up at 106, since Lake already picked that I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say 109! Final answer!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts

125 inches if sides matched, 105 as is.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Also remember the first mass measurement is at the base of the odd antler, and is quite large. The second mass measurement is also a pretty good one. I will reveal that if the sides matched, he would score 133" and would have an 18" inside spread (measured from good antler to center of skull).

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
106"
Although I don't see how you can get 4 mass measurements on the left antler. there are 3 seperate beams on the left and only 1 point on the main left beam so you would only get 2 mass measurements. Not sure if I am correct on this but that is how I would interpret the left side. Awesome buck though. Congrats!

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are always 4 mass measurements, regardless of the number of points, taken at the smallest circumference in the areas as described by the boone and crockett scoring system. There is only one main beam on the left antler. The other two points would be considered brow tines, because there is one common base for all three. Their lengths are measured regardless, and added to the total gross score. The first mass measurement was taken between the burr and the closest point to the burr. The second mass measurement was taken between those two points G-1 and G-2 at the smalled circumference. The third measurement taken at the smallest circumeference between G-2 and G-3, and the final measurement taken halfway between G-3 and the end of the main beam, as per B&C.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts