The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I grew my peppers from seed this year and they were doing very well until about a week ago. I noticed the leaves near the ground were turning yellow and drooping, some of them were laying on the ground at the base of the plants.

This was happening during all of the rain that we had been having. All of a sudden I started developing these brown "burnt" marks on the leaves. As soon as they got it I would take the leaves off and remove them far from the garden. Some plants I've picked down to only a couple of leaves left.

Does this look like blight to you? What can I do? I don't want to loose all of my plants!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you can see we have poor soil quality (clay) and I have never had a soil test done.

Just before all of that rain I did water some plants with a "compost tea" from compost that we have. Could this have been transmitted from there?

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
looks like it got way to wet then dried out realy fast and now is way to dry,its stress on the plants doing this. give them a light watering in the evening and leave the leafs alone, ive had them with barely any leafs left and then when the weather straightens out and stays consitant they start doing well.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the same thing on my tomatoes. I've been trimming off the areas that have been affected, and I haven't lost a bunch yet. I'm assuming it's the late blight, but I'm not 100%. It looks exactly like what you have.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
Ya don't pull no more leaves off. My plants are needing some fertilizer and epson salt. Hope to pick some up tommorrow.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tater,

Should I fertilize and epsom salt mine? My tomatoes are INCREDIBLE, nice lush green and healthy leaves and fruit. The peppers are looking rough with these leaves like this.

It has to be either stress or that wave of too much rain or something, I haven't fed them with miracle grow lately maybe that would help.

·
Super Moderator
23,759 Posts
If you have had a garden in the same spot for awhile you need to fertilize. I did the epson salt thing last year and it seemed to help.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you dissolve it in water and mist the leaves with it or do you scatter dry epsom on the soil?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
DOESN'T ANYONE HERE FUMIGATE AND FERTILIZE AND THEN COVER WITH BLACK PLASTIC OVER THE WINTER. IT WORK'S IN NORTHERN MICHIGAN WHEN THIS HAPPEN'S, IT SHOULD WORK HERE. I FOUND THAT TRYING TO CONTROL THIS AFTER IT HAS STARTED TO BE A FUTILE BATTLE WIT NOT VERY GOOD RESULTS.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
So far so good here. Last year in a matter of days 24 mater plants were wiped out!!!!!

I sprayed my mater plants with fungecide a few times and so far it seemed to help. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you guys are confirming then that this does look like blight?

Should I pull out all affected plants and destroy them?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all.

I mixed Epsom salts into warm water and into a sprayer bottle. I also used a bit of the fungicide so I cannot tell you which fixed the problem.

I just picked a batch of "Cherry bomb" peppers,

H.O.L.Y. crap! Almost as bad as getting pepper sprayed... I just sliced one up and ate it... definitely not quite as hot as a Jalapeno but a different kind of hot. This is the first year I did Cherry Bombs and will DEFINITELY do them again. The next batch I am going to slice down the middle and stuff, then bake as an appetizer.

I let these ones go to bright red before picking, you can pick them from Dark green to red so I'm assuming that as green they will be a little bit more mild. May have to try them that way for the next batch.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My "hots" are doing really well in the garden, The biggest are approx. 3" long. My Bell's haven't even started yet.

The roma tomatoes and big boys are coming along nicely but haven't yet begun to ripen.

Eggplant plants are still growing leaves with no blossoms.

Cukes are growing like weeds up the lattices with TONS of blossoms. I foresee TONS of pickles this year! The zuccini are doing very well, picked about a dozen already and TONS more are blossoming. Carrots are doing OK (First year for those).

The Romaine and Spinach are doing well too

·
20,126 Posts
Man! My garden def. has the first year blues. My Zucs and Pepper are both getting mad blossom end rot even though we had like no rain. My beans are not supporting very well so they are laying down. and in general with the excpetion of the tomatos, asp, and watermelon things are not too happy. Soil issues i am sure. Should get better as the years move on and I work the soil more.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trout,

My beans also layed down during that big storm we had, I went out there while the soil (clay) was still wet and picked them up and piled more soil around the stems. I am going to have TONS of green beans this year. I WAY over did it. Planted tons of seeds and I can't stand to rip out plants.

I pulled out one of my zuke plants becuase it was overgrowing my snap peas and replanted it near the house. The leaves have wilted to death but it looks like it is going to make it. The zukes are still growing and the blossoms still blossoming. Some new leaves have developed.

I noticed my zukes closest the ground were rotting near the blossom end so I cut those off but still tons of zukes coming in. Made a great zuccini/tomato/onion salad it was great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts