11,144 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
It is actually nice to know items like this are still around to be found

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
I think I might take a pitch fork and poke around some!

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Was a Boremann fused 12 lb hollow shot. Most likely was already drained of powder but our security guard (former EOD in Iraq and had two bombs go off under him) didn't want to take any chances. This is not the first time a live one has come in the door.

My favorite part was the guys from WHP 21 who showed up after it was all over and everyone but me and the boss had left the building. They shot film of the empty building and lead off with "Pandimonium and Chaos at USAHEC" for their 5:30 PM broadcast. The shell was removed from the site at 4:15 and everyone had gone home. My boss was really [censored] and called them up for a retraction. Doubt that will happen. Then at 6:00 they report they are "standing by for word from inside" Not sure who they planned to get the word from then, lol.

GBJ

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
20 years ago I was at a yard sale in Fairfax VA, and an idiot had an old civil war projectile for sale, sitting on the edge of a rickety fold up card table. Somebody already called the police, the cops cleared every one away and the bomb squad took the thing away. Found it was still loaded and the explosive was still viable. (not sure how they determined that) Made the news around DC along with warnings not to hhandle or move old ordinance. Then about 15 years ago, DC was doing some excavation in a park to put in a playground and uncovered loaded artillery projectiles with 1910 era gas leaking out.

The state game lands between Mt Gretna and Colebrook was once a military base and back around 1960, I heard unsubstantiated stories about how such items may be present there. (I figured it was just to scare us kids, but....)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Used to work near Raritan Center which was built over the former Raritan Arsenal. Every so often they still find old ordnance on site. Guys I worked with said when they were kids it was 'normal' to hear stuff exploding during warm summer nights. Parts of the nearby community college were found to be contaminated and had to be demolished, cleaned up, and rebuilt. It occurred just a few years after the military spent a few million conducting 'another' extensive search for munitions.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might have to take a closer look at the collection of a family member. I know there are some shells there. Don't think any are charged though.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Remind me to bring a couple of the stone tools I found on that creek to the 4A late season hunt. The best stone daggar blade i've ever seen, well other than the iceman's. That one was in a glacier for 5000 years not running water.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Between the civil war ordinance and the stuff being lobbed into the stoney valley by Ft Indiantown Gap, this place is getting to sound like a SE Asian country with land mines scattered about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts