The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to my Canadian outfitter this morning. The border will be open August 9, but as of now no plan to relax operating restrictions on outfitters.🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
Talked to my Canadian outfitter this morning. The border will be open August 9, but as of now no plan to relax operating restrictions on outfitters.🤦‍♂️
Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
165 Posts
My outfitter contacted me last night verifying if our group is still coming north right after the border opens. There was no mention of them having a restriction. We have a few guidelines to follow to be allowed to cross.

A problem I just read is that the US side will now remained closed until at least August 21. Guess the reciprocal approach is gone.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I just applied for entry to go fishing and was denied. I met all the requirements but I guess fishing is not a good reason to enter Canada.

Here is the site to request entry.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
My outfitter contacted me last night verifying if our group is still coming north right after the border opens. There was no mention of them having a restriction. We have a few guidelines to follow to be allowed to cross.

A problem I just read is that the US side will now remained closed until at least August 21. Guess the reciprocal approach is gone.
I would not take the word of your outfitter. He may think he has good info but too many things are in flux right now. In addition if you get in be careful. There are a lot of anti's up there who want to keep the border closed. There have been incidents of vandalism and confrontations between citizens from different provinces while traveling through.

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
I don't think I am interested in completing all of that and still be denied or have to quarantine. Looks like a potential nightmare for folks trying to go hunting or fishing. I think my upcoming bear hunt in September will be a no go from my perspective looking at that mess.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would not take the word of your outfitter. He may think he has good info but too many things are in flux right now. In addition if you get in be careful. There are a lot of anti's up there who want to keep the border closed. There have been incidents of vandalism and confrontations between citizens from different provinces while traveling through.
Thanks for the heads up on the confrontations up there. There's time before we would go. Things may change again between now and then with the Delta variant and the US not reciprocating with Canada.

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
I don't think I am interested in completing all of that and still be denied or have to quarantine. Looks like a potential nightmare for folks trying to go hunting or fishing. I think my upcoming bear hunt in September will be a no go from my perspective looking at that mess.
I'm with you brother... that's just nuts.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the confrontations up there. There's time before we would go. Things may change again between now and then with the Delta variant and the US not reciprocating with Canada.
It's not the Canada we are use to. Covid has caused a lot of problems and some are not handling them well especially in the western provinces.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
It looks like they updated the website. A guy on another site who was originally denied reapplied and now he can enter. He said they changed a few options / questions.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are those restrictions?
I'm not sure, he just said the operating restrictions had not been lifted.

As someone else said, theres lots of anti hunting sentiment in Canada, mostly in the big cities but they run the country. This whole covid thing has been used politically and socially to further certain liberal agendas, no reason to beleive anti hunters haven't been actively using it too.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
I'm not sure, he just said the operating restrictions had not been lifted.

As someone else said, theres lots of anti hunting sentiment in Canada, mostly in the big cities but they run the country. This whole covid thing has been used politically and socially to further certain liberal agendas, no reason to beleive anti hunters haven't been actively using it too.
(y) That's the impression I get.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Remember the days when the biggest worry about going to Canada is if you had a DUI in the last 20 years? Those were the days.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Back in that late 80' and early 90's we used go up fishing each year crossing the border at 1000 Islands. All they would ask us is where we were headed, what the purpose of our trip was, how long we were staying and if we were transporting any alcohol, tobacco or firearms. OK, have good time!

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's still relatively easy to get into Canada even with firearms. Yes sir, no sir, have your paperwork in order, usually pretty easy. At least up til last year.....

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
It's still relatively easy to get into Canada even with firearms. Yes sir, no sir, have your paperwork in order, usually pretty easy. At least up til last year.....
Agreed. I’ve gone to Canada 13 times with firearms, never had a bit of trouble. I always have my forms filled out in triplicate when I get to the crossing. I find the Canadian Border Patrol folks to be far more friendly than the people manning the US side. I dread the crossing coming back at the Peace Bridge at Buffalo.

·
Registered
19,810 Posts
I find the Canadian Border Patrol folks to be far more friendly than the people manning the US side. I dread the crossing coming back at the Peace Bridge at Buffalo.
Agreed. At that crossing the Canadian folks are much nicer to deal with. The guy we had crossing back into the US last time was a piece of work.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts