The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it appropriate to shoot offset vanes through a whisker biscuit rest? Or will it cause an erratic arrow flight?

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I shoot Blazers with a right helical. But since the Blazers are so short, there is not a noticeable difference in flight or speed. Although, I am quite sure I lost a few FPS. Not that I care! Just don't shoot vanes longer than that! Then you will see a big difference in speed and flight with 4" or more vanes.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
last year I had a helicle on blazers and had to refletch. I had erratic arrow flight at 40 yrds...Once I swithed it up it was good to 60. I know guys who shoot bicuits for indoor target and will shoot high 280's

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
My hunting arrows have blazers set at a 2-3 degree offset through a bisquit. No problem all last year. Don't try a helical, though. It will raise havoc on your blazers and your bisquit.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
A helical vane is a vane applied with a helical clamp that starts on the side of the shaft and wraps either right or left around the shaft giving the vane a curved application and a curve in the body of the vane itself. Off set is a straight vane application that begins in the center of the shaft and the tail of the vane is slightly left or right of center. Both will produce rotation (spin) and therefore usually tighter grouping of arrows. Some have found that after 40 yds, helical vanes tend to drop off quicker due to more wind drag than offset.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Hittingguru said:
Don't try a helical, though. It will raise havoc on your blazers and your bisquit.
My Blazers have been on my shafts for two years now. Same with the biscuit. I see nothing wrong with the vanes or the biscuit. They are still on today! Rock solid as the day they were glued!
The helical they produce, looks more like an offset than a true helical. Between the two types, I see a slight keel in the back of the vane. This gives me more spin to stabilize the arrow faster out of the bow. Yes, shooting long distances will drop off. But I seen no differences between offset and helical at 40 yards. I bought the helical clamp because I wanted to try this on ONLY BLAZERS. Also, in case somebody wanted a right helical for their own arrows, shooting something other than a WB rest. Funny, last year, Bohning, the makers of the Blazer vane. They came out with a Blazer jig and a right helical clamp. They must have known something.

Like I said. I did a test because I wanted to find out if they worked, they do. Actually, they out preformed the straight fletched arrows. Much tighter groups. Now I even re-fletched all my arrows with the right helical clamp. Because it works. The trick is to let them sit longer in the jig!
At least 2 minutes per vane!

·
Registered
583 Posts
John, I just started doing the same thing by keeping my blazers in the Jig longer and that did the trick. I am never in a hurry to fletch up some arrows.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I read in another forum (not HPA) about using a right helical on Blazers and a WB rest. I was using right helical before Bohning came out with their Blazer Jig, learn this idea from another forum. After reading the results from this persons test. I thought I will try the same test. Just like shooting a shotgun for turkey, no two are a like! What works for me, may not work for you! But you need to at least try or test that theory first! I will admit, four inch vanes and a WB rest is a BIG NO NO!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts