The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread for all CVA Electra user's. I did a search for information on this CVA model and it is surprising there isn't much information available on the forums.

***Please post tips, tricks, and first-hand experiences with the CVA Electra muzzleloader.***

Fact #1: Yes, this is a discontinued model. For whatever reason, the new technology of this muzzleloader just didn't catch on. I'm sure there are
a million opinions on this.

Fact #2:
These guns originally had a price tag of well over $400 and can now be had for a steal of a price. This means there are many guys out there that will be shooting them, myself included. So whether you like the concept or not, this thread is intended for guys to keep safe and get the most enjoyment out of this muzzleloader as possible. That's why I ask....please no bashing.

Let the information begin!!!

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I,m on CVA,s newsletter and enter the s/stakes every month for a chance at winning it.What are the best prices that you guys have seen?I got The Sportman guide and they are pretty cheap in there.I heard alot about em when they first came out then nothing.I too thought they must have discontinued them till I got the email news letter from CVA and seen it in the S/Guide.Did they just announce the cancelation?

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Dale Sholder said:
Not sure but I dont think they are legal in PA. .
I don,t think that is true Dale.It would be in the regs and advertisements.Plus I seen them in our shops.Frontier,I read alot of reviews on them tonite.Alot of good and bad.All from poor workmanship to not goin off below freezing.Bein that you are a CVA authority,what is your opinion about this rifle in general?

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
I just got off the phone with CVA,s Cust.Service.They can,t gurantee how long they will carry parts for these rifles.That is a concern to me.Still waitin to here from you F/Gander.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good ole boy said:
I just got off the phone with CVA,s Cust.Service.They can,t gurantee how long they will carry parts for these rifles.That is a concern to me.Still waitin to here from you F/Gander.
That's odd because when I spoke with them they told me they are required to carry parts for 7 years after the discontinued date and that the service would be provided for the life of the gun to honor the Lifetime Warranty. Guys have cried B.S. on CVA for that statement...a sort of "been there, done that" impression that left a mark.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
The guy told me that it is a LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY ON MANUFACTURES DEFECTS ONLY.I too brought this to his attention.He down right admitted that within 10 years this gun would be a wall hangar.It doesn,t surprise me cause they left their f/lock customers out to dry.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
See this gun was only made for a short time and has specific parts that are unique to this rifle.Heck I had my credit card out to purchase.I keep thinkin about it even though I know it would not be in my best interest.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Looks like this thread died.I was really lookin forward to some users comments on this.I know the buyers comments on places sellin em that I read isn,t in their favor.Alot of unhappy owners.One issue that CVA told me is that the cold non firing is contributed to the battery.It comes with a alkaline battery,and the battery will fail to ignite the rifle in the cold.CVA said you MUST use a Lithium battery in temps below freezing.I think if they would have included this type of battery with the rifle it would have been way in their best interest instead of cuttin pennies and including a battery that won,t perform in the standard regular winter type weather.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received mine and am waiting on the scope and accessories to come in the mail. First thing I did was purchase a Lithium 9 Volt for the gun. I gave the 9V that came with the gun to one of my kids for their alarm clock back-up.

I'm not seeing the negative comments really, except for all the skepticism. I figure the thread died so quickly there really must not be many guys out there shooting these guns.

I must say that the gun looks really nice and well-made, especially for $180 bucks. It's all in your expectations.

If it's worth the risk to you to try it out knowing it's a discontinued model, then I think you go into it knowing that.

BTW, I'm from Avella.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i bought mine 2 yrs ago at bass pro. i love the gun it shoots very well. 3 shots at 100yrds all holes touching. i use imr white hots and 295gr powerbelts. not much experience using it in cold weather because the inline season is during oct. not to cold then.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Well I,m glad the comments picked up.Hey SCA,your from right over the hill from me.Where did you get yours for that price?Was it the Sportsman Guide?Of all the checkin I did,they are the only ones sellin em fot that.Did you get the camo,ss version or the bl,blued version?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's my order info from the Sportsmans Guide:

Product Information:
1) CVA® Electra™ .50 cal. Black Powder Rifle, Realtree® HD™ Camo / Stainless (Product: WX2-203856)
You must be 18 years of age to purchase this item.
Expected availability: December 27, 2011.
Quantity: 1, Unit Price: $188.97, Total Price: $188.97

I received mine earlier than expected. Couldn't beat that price, discontinued or not. Especially for stainless.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I re-newed my membership with the purchase. They then sent me a $20 gift card and two $10 coupons. I used that and the Free Shipping offered a couple days ago and bought a new Nikon® Inline XR 3-9x40 scope that has the BDC 300. I got it for around $170 shipped. Not too shabby.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just found this forum. I have used the Electra for a good while so I have some information that might help. First on the battery issue. The instructions that come with the M/L clearly state that a lithium battery is the best. That being said I have range shot mine with a standard battery at darn close to zero degrees F with no problem. But if the manual says the lithium is best why would you not just put one in the gun. For the few dollars it takes I change mine twice a season. I don't go in the field with a so so battery in my range finder or flashlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Second because of what I had read here I just today talked to CVA and they were emphatic that they would service the Electra for the 7 years. The caveat is that it is 7 years after 2010 so we have 5 years. I have ordered two breach plugs just to have anyway. THey are around $20 dollars. Good investment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what do i think of the M/L itself. It is the best I have shot hands down. THe trigger pull is amazing (being a switch). Very accurate. It took me a total of five shots to zero it to 1 1/2" high at 50 yds. I shoot 100 grains of Hodgdon Tripple 7 with a 250 grain Barnes Spit Fire TEZ. I would not hesitate to shoot at 200 yds with this load and this rifle. You can not shoot Blackhorn 209 with this gun, the electrode just isnt hot enough to gaurentee good ignition. If you shoot pellets then you MUST follow instructions of how to crush the bottom pellet for good ignition. It wasnt worth the whole procedure for me so I just shoot loose powder. The TEZ sabots loaded very easy for me and the gun cleans very easily. As far as optics I put a 4 by 12 scope. Just a note here. The scope rail is BARELY back far enough on my scope for good eye releif. Check that before you tighten your rings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lastly my take on bullets. The manual that comes states that CVA only endorses PowerBelt bullets for this M/L and that sabots may or may not work well. Well PowerBelt is owned by the same company as CVA so duhhhhh. They say that sabots leave a plastic coating on the inside of the barrel. Well whats on the bottom of powerbelt bullets, plastic of course. SO when the charge goes off the base of their bullets expands against the barrel just like a jacketed sabot. I had been using the Barnes 250 gr TEZ in my Omega and wanted to continue with it. I will say this about powerbelts. They are very good range bullets but horrible hunting bullets. Besides using them myself and having to track many deer I have numerous friends who have found the same issue. NO blood trail, horrible expansion, poor penetration. If you doubt me just look at reviews. I know my Barnes leaves a bullet size entry hole and a golf ball size exit wound. Most of my deer drop instantly and those that don't are easy to find. So if the PowerBelf is your round and it works for you no problem. Just know that the Electra shoot sabots just fine. If you have one you like use it and if not try a Barnes I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts