The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone uses any off the wall locator calls. I mean beyond the usual owl and crow calls. Recently I got a wounded rabbit call in a box lot at a sale that I am thinking that would be worth a try.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I used to have a party horn I got at a New Years Eve party that worked great. It went up an octave every time time you blew it, for three times in a row. It sounded similar to something you'd hear in a Three Stooges movie. And the turkeys loved it.....I got more answers to that than just about any other locator call I've ever used. I lost it, and haven't replaced it since, but I'm constantly on the lookout for one!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I used to have a party horn I got at a New Years Eve party that worked great. It went up an octave every time time you blew it, for three times in a row. It sounded similar to something you'd hear in a Three Stooges movie. And the turkeys loved it.....I got more answers to that than just about any other locator call I've ever used. I lost it, and haven't replaced it since, but I'm constantly on the lookout for one!

Any Dollar General or Dollar Tree would have something like that for... you guessed it... $1 or less

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
When gobblers are in the mood they will often sound off to any noise and often to loud noises. I have heard them gobble back to the sound of a swing gate, car doors, car horns, crow calls, owl calls, gun shots, coyote howls, elk bugles etc. etc.

Once I was hunting gobblers in an area where I believed there were only a few gobblers not many....all that changed when a thunder storm approached. I was caught about 2 miles from the vehicle so I had to wait out the storm which fortunately for me only lasted a few minutes and was mostly noise.

At the sound of the loud thunder I counted what I was sure amounted to at least 20 different gobblers sounding off.....I had no idea that there were that many gobblers in the area.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
My favorite hunting spot has a hiway nearby where motorcycles cruise on saturdays. Gobbles everytime one with open pipes go by.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
There is a spot just up from my camp where the road climbs over a small ridge and you can see the protruding knob of lime stone. Roll back trucks with wrecked autos seem to use the road a lot and at 4:55 am that bang/bump works every time.

So did the slam of the outhouse door after use....

Reactions: Mussgrass

·
Registered
682 Posts
I used to hunt near a farm that had a bunch of peacocks. All you had to do was git in the woods without gittin busted and git yourself on the top of a ridge and wait for them to start. Every gobbler within ear shot would sound off. I never had to use a locator call.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. I have a peacock call that I have used with limited success. Once, I heard a truck with screeching brakes followed by a nearby gobble.

At the risk of hijacking my own thread, I have to say that I really struggle to locate turkeys. Even doing a lot of running and gunning, I don't get many answers to my locators. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
Are you hunting in an area that you know there is a good population of turkeys? Perhaps when you are running and gunning you maybe exposing yourself to turkeys who are seeing you before you see them. When I run and gun I try to use the landscape to hide me as much as possible. I also go to high places to listen...you can hear further and turkeys are more prone to travel up hill to calling than down hill. Plus one can approach a good set up quicker when traveling down hill...especially true for us Sr. hunters....

When you are making a locater or turkey call to locate are you making yourself concealed or standing in the open calling? After I call I usually wait a few minutes without moving for an answer

Are you getting into the woods and in the hot spot areas before daylight? I almost always hear turkeys sounding off at first light. One will gobble usually followed by another then others. Then after they are on the ground and with hens they sometimes go quiet.

A couple of years back I hunted an area at daylight hearing several gobblers. A few days later I talked to a buddy who was hunting the same area saying there all no turkeys...he said he hunted the same area I was hunting and implied I must be hearing things. Further in his conversation he indicated his wasn't getting into the woods until at least an hour after daylight. I tried to tell him they were probably with the hens at that time and might be sounding off later in the morning after the hens have gone to roost. He said he left after a couple of hours because there're no turkeys anymore. I took two mature gobblers in that location the first three mornings and was home before my buddy made it to the woods and there were more gobblers calling in that location than the two I took. He said he heard no shots as I heard 6 during the first hour during the three mornings.

Keep trying.....be patient......hunt where the bird are and be crafty....Good luck..

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
When gobblers are in the mood they will often sound off to any noise and often to loud noises. I have heard them gobble back to the sound of a swing gate, car doors, car horns, crow calls, owl calls, gun shots, coyote howls, elk bugles etc. etc.

This is spot on. Some mornings they gobble, others they won't. I prefer my Hootin stick but only because I think it sounds cool.

·
Super Moderator
14,272 Posts
I don't even use a locator call anymore. In fact I don't even have one in my vest anymore. I have been out many mornings when I could hear several different gobblers sounding off on their own only to have them all shut up for twenty minutes or so following someone stopping and owl hooting from a road.

Nature provides enough natural sounds, crows, woodpeckers, thunder and real hens, that will get a gobbler to sound off on his own if they are so inclined to gobble. If there aren't any gobbling on their own I just run and gun, usually from the mountain bike, stopping to call at the hot spots until I get one to answer. Then it is game on.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Super Moderator
13,526 Posts
The only locator call I carry is a crow call.

I have had good luck with a loud sudden crow call to shock a gobbler into answering....I have found the closer I happen to be when I make the call the more apt the gobbler is to respond. One reason I like to call before I crest a hill
or before looking over a steep valley.

When I get an answer this gives me time to set up, trim a couple brairs and get comfortable before I make a hen call. Whereas, if I had made a hen call and the gobbler is close I don't know how much time I have to set up as he could be coming to my call before I am ready. It works well for me to be ready before I make the first hen call. Something I learned the hard way.

Also when gobblers go silent after I have been working them they will sometimes gobble to a crow call which tells me how close they are. If they are far away I can change my position to another location to set up for calling and perhaps strike up another conversation if close hang tight don't move. I might find that the gobbler is trying to lure the hen (My call) to his comfortably strutting location which is good information for the nexts days hunt and future years....

I can say I do believe I have got a few gobblers by the use of a crow call......and lost a couple due to them coming in quickly to my hen call while I am trying to select a hiding spot and moving around to get set up or had them come in on me when my gun is on the ground and I am not ready.....tough watching them walk around in range then out of sight....

No guarantee....just another light weight tool of the trade....

·
Registered
682 Posts
I hunt the same spot, the same tree every year. I have to git there a 1/2 hour before daylite, my son don't mind that because he can git alittle shut eye in before the action starts. I sit right at the foot of the mountain, where it starts to git steep. I have a hard time callin a gobbler down hill, so I have to git above them. There is a flat down below and thats where they usually head to eventually. At daybreak I start with soft yelps, that usually cranks something up and gives me an idea where they are. Most mornings we hear 6 to 8 different birds, if we can be patient I can usually call one in within the 1st hour. Sometimes if they don't come up the hill we have to slide down and git even with them. My son and I don't git one every year but we usually have a lot of action. Best of luck to everyone....

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
A Ferocious Shock locator has helped many of hunters in my circle. Mouth blown air horn. I like a crow call as well.

Sometimes if we can get them to gobble, they can be fired up.

Several times when the gobbling was absent, a coyote howl has changed the game for me. (Sounds counterintuitive)

My Easterns respond most often to higher pitched sounds when gobbles are sparse.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I hunt in areas where people have chickens. I noticed a lot of times when a rooster sounds off it will get the gobblers to gobble. I found a rooster call and have had pretty good luck with it.

Gino

1 - 20 of 26 Posts