The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m heading up to the Benezette area with my 2 year old to check out a few places forsale. We are going to spend the day up there and do some hiking and hope to get into some elk.
Does anyone have any honey holes they would be willing to share for my boy and I to go check out. Any areas are fine within Benezette, Piper, medix, Hicks run, etc..

Like I said I’m wanting to do some hiking as well so if they are back in some trails or A bit of a walk to I’m okay with that. I have a framed backpack style child carrier that he does great in.
I appreciate any advice from anyone. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Little further than you wanted to go but seeing them all around camp on 872 . Couple big bulls running around.
Keep a eye out for rattlesnakes.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Dents run. If your coming from Benezette on 555, it will be on the left shortly before you reach Hicks run. Once you turn onto the dirt road go past the first couple camps and you will see an old logging road on the right. It’s a pretty gradual hike up the hill. The top is loaded with oak trees and there’s always elk around. If you go across the top and drop down the other side you’ll be in hicks run. You won’t have the crowds to deal with back there.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Dents Run Rd at the intersection with Belle Draft Rd.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the info from all. rt 872 is not out of the way. I will probably be at the Sinnemahoning Sportsman's club for lunch or dinner, and it will be just right up the road then.

Thanks again to all!

·
Registered
477 Posts
We were up 2 weeks ago on a day it rained. Saw elk all over, from Kylertown to Benezette. Saw 14 big bulls together near June's Farm area couple miles past Kylertown.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I appreciate the info from all. rt 872 is not out of the way. I will probably be at the Sinnemahoning Sportsman's club for lunch or dinner, and it will be just right up the road then.

Thanks again to all!
There are reports that a nice Bull was hit along 872 a few days ago .Not sure exactly where along the highway.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I’m heading up to the Benezette area with my 2 year old to check out a few places forsale. We are going to spend the day up there and do some hiking and hope to get into some elk.
Does anyone have any honey holes they would be willing to share for my boy and I to go check out. Any areas are fine within Benezette, Piper, medix, Hicks run, etc..

Like I said I’m wanting to do some hiking as well so if they are back in some trails or A bit of a walk to I’m okay with that. I have a framed backpack style child carrier that he does great in.
I appreciate any advice from anyone. Thanks!!
If you are going to be in Benezette I would just drive up the top of Winslow Hill to the first viewing area and take the road to the left that kind of goes down over the hill through the viewing area. That road will take you down to what we call the double gates. There is a parking area there with a gate on the left and one to the right. Both are on game lands and open for hiking. I would take the road to the right and follow it as far as you want. It will take you through some nice food plots and other areas where I was nearly always able to find some elk. If you go in the morning or evening you are very likely to see some elk closeup.

That is the area we usually used when we were doing public elk tours because that was where we usually found the most elk.

The only draw back is that you might well encounter some other elk viewers or now even an elk archery hunter. But, that is true of just about anywhere you are likely to encounter elk at this time of the year.

Dick Bodenhorn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts